help searching in Australia please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help searching in Australia please

I am looking for Edward Woodhouse born about 1846 in Norfolk, England who arrived in Australia in 1883, and I can't find him after that. Can anyone find him for me? Thanks

Do you know which part of Australia, Debbie?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I just found him arriving in New South Wales, I don't know anything else, sorry.

Comment

You can find the NSW BMD index here:

NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages - Historical Index Search

What were his parents' names?

Comment

Am I right in guessing that you think he's the Edward Woodhouse, born c. 1846, who travelled to Sydney on the Belgravia, arriving in 1884? If so, there were other family members with him.

State Records NSW - Online search

Comment

I don't think the Edward who travelled on the Belgravia is your man. This is the complete passenger list:

BELGRAVIA

His occupation (joiner) and the names and ages of his wife and children match this family living in Yorkshire in 1881

Class: RG11; Piece: 4615; Folio: 19; Page: 31

(parents from Shropshire, children born in Yorkshire)

Comment

there are 4 Woodhouse deaths listed in NSW - do you know his parents names?
              the Australian certificates are brilliant and well worth getting as they list marriages, children etc.
              Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

His parent were Robert and Finetta

Comment

Where did you find him on a passenger list?

Comment

Ancestry

Comment

What was the name of the ship?

Comment

I dont know if this is your man, but there is an Edward Woodhouse in the 1903 Australian Electoral Roll in Victoria 1903

Name: Edward Woodhouse
                        Electoral Year: 1903
                        State: Victoria
                        District: Kooyong
                        Subdistrict: Glenferrie Ward

I looked at the record and he is living with 2 others at the same address
                        - Jane
                        - Charles Henry

Source Information:
                        Ancestry.com. Australian Electoral Rolls, 1901-1936 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2007. Original data: Australian Electoral Commission. [Electoral roll]. Microform mc N 451-mc N 457. National Library of Australia, Canberra, Australia.
                        Last edited by ~Queen.B~; 10-02-09, 20:25. Reason: correct date
                        I’m no genealogist …
                        Until this year I spelled it “GeneOlogist!"
                        ;)

Comment

Give me a mo. I'm helping a friend with a stack of Norfolk Woodhouses. I know I thought Brown Woodhouse would be easy till I realized it was so common...lol

I'll have a check.

Comment

Sorry....no Edwards.

Brown and Stephen 1820 and 1822.

Brown Woodhoues came here in 1856 but to Brisbane.

Comment

Debbie

I live in Australia and i have done a little search for your family
                              your Edward was born 1841at Aylmerton Norfolk he had 10 siblings,
                              i can not find a death for an Edward Woodhouse with the father as Robert Woodhouse and Mother Finetta Burton here in Australia,
                              but i found a marriage for a Sarah Burton Woodhouse in 1863 to a John Jeffs in South Australia it says she was born 1838 but her birth on latter day saints says 1820 , and Sarah Burton Jeffs died 1895,

if you think your Edward Woodhouse is the one that came on the ship Belgravia in 1884 i have his marriage details and his children that were born here in Australia,
                              Regards angel24

Comment

Working...
                              X