No Laughing Now...Smith !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Laughing Now...Smith !

Yes i know i am possibly banging my head against a brick wall...

I have looked on the 1911 census...which i thought was wonderful...

My Grandfather was married and my Grandmother his housekeeper...urmmm she had many children by him 5 we know off BEFORE they were married :o
    They did eventually marry in 1917 and had several more children...
    Now i have hit so many walls over them both but what i was wondering is on the 1911 census it had my Gfather as head...and married...my Gmother his house keeper and several children with both his and her surnames...

It says he has been married for several years...i knew he had been married before because on ther marriage certificate it says he were a widow....

Which direction do i need to go in to find out about his first wife and indeed if there were any children...

thanks so much....

you are going to have to go back through the earlier census forms if you don't have the name of the first wife... good luck, some of mine are Smith too :o)
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Thanks Jules its a nightmare as we hardly know anything about my grandparents because of the surname !

Comment

Hi Chich, maybe you could start by going through the children who are with them on the 1911 census and work out who the parents were of each one, and if you don't know, order their birth certificates to find out (although I realise that may not be easy if they are Smiths). Maybe the oldest one will be a child of the first wife in which case their birth certificate will tell you her name.

If any of the children are over 10 in 1911 then you should be able to find them on the 1901 census and see who is in the household on that one.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Do you have the 1917 marriage certificate - this should give his father's name and occupation.
          Were any of the children born before 1901 - in which case can you find them on the 1901 census.
          Can you find him on the 1901 census by matching date of birth, place of birth, occupation?
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks for the replies...

Yes we have the 1917 marriage certificate...

It does give his father name William and job but he was deceased when my Grandfather..his son got married...

no children were born before 1901..

Comment

Hi chich, Welcome to FTF!

Could you tell us the full 1911 details for your grandfather, plus the occ for his dad from the 1917 marriage cert?

In 191 it was only married women who were supposed to complete the "years married" bit (I think) - do the details appear for g/f or for his "wife"?

Comment

Hi thanks for the welcome...

His Father William was a Frame Work Knitter...

the 1911 details are his name Walter Smith...head...34...married....then his job which was in the lace trade and born in nottingham...

on the marriage bit theres a red line through the 14 years...

Comment

oh and its in his handwritting....bless him x x

Comment

This looks like him on the TNA 1901, but I can't find him on Ancestry :(

Walter Smith, 24, b Nottingham, living Nottingham Nottm, occ Lace Maker, marital status married.

Comment

T N A ???

I am getting all excited now !

Comment

This one Merry?

Married but living with aunt, not sin of wife.

RG13; Piece: 3173; Folio: 59; Page: 11
                        Fiona. xx

Comment

Thanks fiona!

That's great, isn;t it - pity his wife is missing, but at least we have someone else he's related to!!

Comment

Though it's a bit dodgy that S A Wood and Joseph Wood are bro-in-law to each other but both have the same surname!!! (Yes, I know it's possible, but I bet it's wrong! lol)

Comment

so can i ask whats the T N A and where would i find the info you have...many thanks.

Comment

Yes but in 1891 Sarah and her son Joseph Wood have her mother Elizabeth SMITH living with them.

So it might be that Walter's father William is Sarah's brother and Elizabeth's son?

Off to see if I can find a William with Sarah and Elizabeth and get a year of birth to trace him to hopefully having a son William.

RG12; Piece: 2699; Folio 83; Page 7
                                Fiona. xx

Comment

The surname wood as come up before...ummmmm

Comment

you guys are good !

Comment

Originally posted by fiona c View Post
                                      Yes but in 1891 Sarah and her son Joseph Wood have her mother Elizabeth SMITH living with them.

So it might be that Walter's father William is Sarah's brother and Elizabeth's son?

Off to see if I can find a William with Sarah and Elizabeth and get a year of birth to trace him to hopefully having a son William.

RG12; Piece: 2699; Folio 83; Page 7
                                      My 'puter keeps crashing so I can't access Ancestry except at a snails pace! :( I agree with what you say though (erm.....son needs to be Walter!)

Comment

Sorry, I ment William with son Walter.
                                        Fiona. xx

Comment

Working...
                                        X