Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The great debate of birth registration

Hi all,

Ok, what are the 'Rules' regarding registration of birth?
    I know that the limit is 6 weeks and then charges apply but what happens if a birth was never actually registered and a birth certificate later becomes necessary for one reason or another.
    Could the birth of some who has died in adulthood be registered after their death?
    I think not, but all theories welcome

Originally posted by Keptin Thedark View Post
    Hi all,

Ok, what are the 'Rules' regarding registration of birth?
    I know that the limit is 6 weeks and then charges apply but what happens if a birth was never actually registered and a birth certificate later becomes necessary for one reason or another.
    Could the birth of some who has died in adulthood be registered after their death?
    I think not, but all theories welcome

I have come across some very late registrations, where as far as I can see there was no original registration in the six weeks after the birth, so yes, they could certainly be registered when the birth certificate was needed, but there were / are special rules about it; I'll see if I can find them.

As for registering the birth of an adult who is dead - I'm getting deja vu here and wondering if this has been asked before, but if so, I don't remember what the answer was! Not sure why someone would want to do this, though.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

If you look at this site it shows you the 1874 Act, and section 5 explains what the rules for late registration were then. Basically, after a year had passed since the birth, the Registrar General had to give permission for the registration.

1836Act
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It looks very unlikely then as the people who qualify as informants would most likely be dead!:D

Unless your looking at clause 5, then it may be possible, but each case would be looked at separately, so there is no definitive answer me thinks.

After the expiration of twelve months next after the birth of any child, that birth shall not be registered except with the written authority of the Registrar General for registering the same, and except in accordance with the prescribed rules, and the fact of such authority having been given shall be entered in the register.

Thanks Kite
        Last edited by Keptin Thedark; 10-02-09, 13:54.

Comment

My husbands great Aunt was born on 16 January 1895. Her birth was never registered. In 1950 - I presume when she was thinking about pensions this was discovered. her sister - husbands grandma registered the birth on the 19th of December 1950.She has signed it as 'present at birth'. I have the certificate and it is signed on the authority of the Registrar general.
          Rita

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/.../User:Nappycat

Comment

Working...
          X