Some photos of my late wife's ancestors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some photos of my late wife's ancestors

OK, greetings to everyone, I am going to see if posting photos is easy on here!
    These are pictures which I have gleaned from photo albums. Some I have seen before and some I have not.
    The most noticable connection is the Genetic Chin among the ladies. My wife had it, my eldest daughter has it and my eldest grand daughter has it!
    Your varied opinions would be most welcome.

This is my late wife's grandmother's family. She is on the far right. The picture was probably taken about 1908

This is grandmother aged, I think, seventeen. there is a dedication on the back which says to "Mama with love Elsie" and after in pencil is, I think, "Sweet Seventee"'

This is my wife's mother Phyllis, Elsie's eldest daughter.

And this is Phyllis's Wedding photo.

Elsie's mother was Martha Jane Douglas, born 1876 in Reading Berkshire.
    So if there are any Douglas's out there, particularly if they have that chin I would love to hear from them.

Les.
    Last edited by Humpty Dumpty; 09-02-09, 16:23. Reason: Cross fingered typing!

Hello again,
    I see that my photos have had a fair few viewings but no comments, not to worry.
    Here are the other two photos which I couldn't post yesterday

I don't know who this chap is but he is obviously related (its that chin again) and I don't think he is the lad in the family group photo

Nor do I know who this couple are, but she is obviously of the same ilk.

I would welcome anybody's thoughts, i.e. dates of photos etc

Comment

Hi, super photos, they all date between about 1900 and the 30s, I especially love Phyllis' shingled hair do, obviously done especially for the taking of the photo, 21st birthday perhaps?

Comment

Hello HD

Good to see you posting!

Great photos , although I can't comment on any particular feature, but the fashion dress is very interesting.

The girl in the 2nd photo is very pretty isn't she!
        Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Hi great photos cleaned and tidied some of your bad photos

Comment

These cleaned up lovely

Last edited by Britec; 10-02-09, 17:36.

Comment

another one

Comment

Wonderful photos Les, I am very envious as I have very few ancestor pictures. I think they are all 20s/30s. Didn't our women ancestors used to take a lot of trouble with their hair? I can't imagine it, they must have spent ages every day getting it just so!
                Rose

Comment

Well, Thank you all for your replies and an especial thank you to Brian for the great work that you have done on them. How do you do it, or shouldn't I ask?
                  I have seen some others that you have restructured and they are great.
                  I am just hoping now that someone comes along to say " Hey I recognise that chin".
                  It ws always refered to in the family as the Pearson chin, but it obviously goes back a lot further than that.

Comment

LOL! We have a family feature too. It's the Clayton nose :D
                    Rose

Comment

It was my pleasure Les, and be proud of your chin your familys chin goes back many years and is a distinctive feature of your family. Jimmy Hill and Bruce did alright with there chin's .

Comment

They are lovely photos!
                        I’m no genealogist …
                        Until this year I spelled it “GeneOlogist!"
                        ;)

Comment

Incidenally, and mostly for Brian, The family group photo original is suffering quite badly from bloom and is more than a tad spotty. When I scanned it the result was terrible, so I arranged it with the light at an angle that didn't show the blemishes and photographed it, then edited the result in Picassa. I have got Photoshop Elements 6, but so far I have not got to grips with it. So now that Brian has tidied it up the end product is far supeior to the original.
                          Its all good stuff innit!

Comment

Originally posted by Britec View Post
                            It was my pleasure Les, and be proud of your chin your familys chin goes back many years and is a distinctive feature of your family. Jimmy Hill and Bruce did alright with there chin's .
                            I should of course say, Brian, that 'the chin' isn't in my family but my late wife's.
                            I must find a photo of her to post up here and then you cn see.
                            We once had great fun when the children were still children comparing inherited features. Who had stumpy toes and who had long toes. Who had sensitive feet and who didn't. We even went as far as the location of moles, but did draw the line at some of them you will be releived to know!

Features can of course be quite an aid to Genealogy if you have the pictures.

Comment

lovely memories im looking for a nice family frame to put mine in.brenda xxx

Comment

Les if you scan the granmother photo again at higher res then I will repair that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Britec View Post
                                  Les if you scan the granmother photo again at higher res then I will repair that for you.
                                  Is this the one you mean Brian, I have scanned it at 600 dpi instead of the original 200.

Although if you can improve on the one that you have already done I shall really be impressed!

Comment

This one Les

Comment

Hi Brian,
                                      Yes I suddenly realised that you probably meant that one. Sorry, I am battling a migraine at the moment.

This is the whole thing uncropped and at 600 dpi. Is that ok or should I go higher?
                                      Last edited by Humpty Dumpty; 13-02-09, 20:33. Reason: Correcting typos

Comment

Hi Les

Photo was a bit small so done best I could...hope its ok can;t go much bigger because its starts to pixelate

you can crop it if you like

Last edited by Britec; 13-02-09, 22:01.

Comment

Working...
                                        X