Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracing ancestor siblings

Hi all,
    I`m just looking for the advice of more experienced researchers really.
    So far I`ve focused primarily on my direct line, as I really didn`t want to bog myself down with unnecessary (at the time anyway) information.

Do you recommend looking into siblings and their decendants? And what about any legal problems when you get to people who may still be alive? Are there etiquette issues etc? I`m rambling a little, but I hope you get the gist!
    Craig

I have added all siblings and their families (where I can find them) to my tree. As long as you don't put living people on a tree in the public domain (ie internet) without their permission, I don't see any problem with having them there. To be on the safe side, 'living' should be thought of as at least 100 years unless there's a definite death record for them.

Are you wanting to contact siblings and their families for your parents/grandparents?
    Last edited by Orangeblossom; 09-02-09, 16:04. Reason: Can't type today!
    Tracy

Comment

I look into siblings and their families too,

sometimes that elusive relative (or two!) just could be with them!

I recently discovered my gt x3's sisters grandaughter which was lovely because I knew very little about this connection.

My tree(!) is more of a sprawler than your regular Oak....lol

I find all little bits and twiglets interesting and frustrating at the same time...lol.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I asked the same question a month or so ago. I've now started to do the siblings and although I dont feel the same connection with the people, it's still interesting. Also as darksecretz said, you find missing people.

For example, Amy Haywood went missing after 1871. I found one living with some people named Billington. I didn't like to claim it so left it as a maybe. Last night I traced her Aunt Agnes' line and she married John Billington! It was them Amy was living with.
        Hail Spode!

Comment

It's definitely a good idea to research your ancestors' siblings; apart from the fact that they may turn out to be a lot more interesting than your direct ancestors (as many of mine have done), you can often solve mysteries relating to your direct line when you research them (e.g. they may be living with someone you were looking for, witnessed a marriage that casts light on a problem. etc.).

The main rule of etiquette is not to post the names of living people in threads on this Board (because they're picked up by Google), and not to include them in your tree if you're going to put it online.

Comment

Thanks for the opinions. Incidentally the gedcom upload automatically filters out possible living relatives doesn`t it?

Comment

That depends where you're uploading to. If you mean here, yes it does. Most other sites don't do that, though Ancestry does mask them as 'Living (Surname)'.
              Tracy

Comment

Yeah sorry, I meant here. Thats good cos I don`t think I took out my nephews etc
                Craig

Comment

The gedcom facility on here will filter out anyone born within the last 100 years where no date of death or burial has been recorded.
                  Elaine

Comment

It's good idea to research siblings and their descendants, as, apart from anything else, usually when you get back to pre-1837 and pre-census you will HAVE to research sibling and cousin lines etc if only to sort out who is who! Doing this during the census years is good practice for when it gets more tricky at an earlier date.

Comment

I agree with Mary. When researching line back in the early 1800's track everyone with the same surname in the village because (almost guaranteed) both will have sons named after the grandfather and daughters named after the grandmother. If you are lucky they will be born far enough apart that it will be easy to determine which "George" is your direct ancestor. If you don't do that then you could find yourself connecting up to the wrong line. as in George and Mary are a couple and George and Ann are a couple. So are you descended from Mary or Ann. And if you family is from a small community you will find that cousins are also marrying cousins and then you end up going in circles keeping it all straight. SO much fun tracing down the sibling lines.
                      Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

This is why you should research sibs!

Timothy Holden born 1786, married twice.

His first wife was Betty Holden, nee Briggs, who was the widow of his brother thomas. One of Timothy's sons married the daughter of Betty and Thomas Holden - first cousins in other words, so the son had both a stepmother and an aunt in Betty Briggs.

His second wife was Betty Briggs, also a widow, nee Harwood. Timothy's brother David married the sister of Betty Harwood. One of their sons married a daughter of Timothy.

Yet another son had a mother in law who had been married and widowed four times. Her first husband was an uncle of Timothy Holden.

Yes, you do get bogged down in people, but you miss a lot if you don't unravel all this genealogical string.

OC

Comment

I really hate to think where i would be without researching the siblings, one surname features a strict naming pattern and as a result i end up with at least three male children as cousins in each generation called Joseph, all born within a year or two of each other and in the same village for six consecutive generations, only the arrival of the railways broke the location link but the Joseph name continued for at least another three generations again.

Naming patterns, especially when you get back to pre civil registration periods can be important clues and without them it can be difficult to fathom who is who if you disregard the siblings.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Since everyone is telling their tales, I'll add mine.

I have in my tree a Mary Elizabeth Cook. She was easy to track, or so I thought. Got her all sorted out with parents etc. Then I found her in 1901 with a different father to the one I had down! Turned out she had a cousin also called Mary Elizabeth Cook born the same year in almost exactly the same place!

I also have a load of Smiths who I wouldn't have been able to trace without looking at the siblings. Thankfully most of them have middle names so they've not been too bad to trace.
                            Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                              The gedcom facility on here will filter out anyone born within the last 100 years where no date of death or burial has been recorded.
                              But this filter still leaves in people of current generations who died young.
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

All our stories explain why to trace siblings in the 18th and 19th centuries. But what about the 20th. Now we are in the land of the living. At this point I am content to let others interested in genealogy contact me. If we have similar names from the turn of the last century then we can enjoy meeting a new cousin/friend. But I don't know about adding their 20th century information or sharing my 20th century information.
                                Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

My living relatives are decidedly boring. None of my siblings nor any of my first cousins on either side has any children. Most of them married relatively late or not at all. My wife is an only child. So my children have no first cousins and my grandchild (singular) is the only one of his generation who is related to me. There are several second cousins on my wife's side.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Most definitely research siblings as they lead you backwards, forwards and sideways, and most rewarding. Researching two siblings of my grandmother gave me information about two of them at an army school and letters written by my Great Grandfather. I would not be without these extra characters!

Janet

Comment

Thanks for all your thoughts.
                                      Sticking in all the census siblings will keep me busy for a while, thankfully I`ve got a lot a lot of censuses already. Researching what happened prior and after the censuses will be interesting though.
                                      I`ve discovered a few distant cousins through genesreunited, so if more pop up then all the better.
                                      Naming patterns are an interesting thing. My grandmothers paternal line alternates between Alexander and John, and she is at least the 5th generation Elizabeth maternally.

Comment

Craig

You might find a couple of useful bits and pieces on the following site, i wonder if your Whitsome connections might be two of the headstones mentioned on the page

Surname index A-K

In our wiki there are also several Berwickshire church photographs too, you might find them useful at some point

Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 09-02-09, 21:34.
                                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                                        X