Google is my friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google is my friend

I thought I'd just tell you about an extremely successful bit of googling over the weekend.

I thought I'd look up a couple of addresses from the census images. I dont often bother with addresses but one family, the Mills seemed to live at a farm called Roach End farm for several years so I thought I'd look it up.

5 minutes later I was on a site all about the Roaches in Staffordshire and a page detailing a walk around Roachend farm. I contacted the owner who confirmed it was the same farm I was looking for (in the area of Leek Frith).

He then sent me photos of the farm, a picture of my 4x great grandfather's sister and best of all, a photo of some graffiti carved into a rock which reads WH Mills 1892. This would have been done by William Mills, brother of my 4x great grandfather - a stone mason.

I thoroughly recommend address googling, you never know what you might find!

Hail Spode!

Guybrush

Google is EVERYONE'S friend, lol.

I have lost count of the number of fantastic discoveries I have made on Google.

A recent one was a google for a tiny obscure hamlet, where my 2 x GGF lived, according to the 1841 census. Google brought up two hits and one of them was an old posting on Ancestry, dated 1999, for my family.

Miraculously, the poster still had the same email addy and we have since exchanged information on our very complicated family - she had the second half of the puzzle, I had the first half!

OC

Comment

Oh Wow Guy!!

thats lovely, well done...

what a lovely and kind thing for the farmer? to do for you.

gives you renewed hope in folks
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

What a great find.

I google a lot but sometimes wish I hadn't

I finally found my g grandparents on 1911 (haven't been able to trace them before that yet) and thought I would see if anything came up for the road they were living in. I discovered that Campbell Road was nicknamed Campbell Bunk and I'm now reading a book I got from the library entitled ""Campbell Bunk. The worst street in London between the wars." A synopsis begins:

"From the 1880s to World War II, Campbell Road, Finsbury Park (known as Campbell Bunk), had a notorious reputation for violence, for breeding thieves and prostitutes, and for an enthusiastic disregard for law and order. "

Oh well.....:o
        Jackie

Comment

Fabby stuff Guy, though I am HORRIFIED that there are people on here with 4xg-grandparents alive in 1891 :( You are making me feel very old! Most of my 4x were born in the 1720s-1750s :(:(

Comment

Well done! What a delightful success... and thank you for sharing it with us - it's so encouraging.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Wow, what a great find, Guy. I bet you can't quite believe it!

(Merry, one of my 4xg's died in 1887.)
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                (Merry, one of my 4xg's died in 1887.)
                *sticks fingers in ears and hums loudly*

(I only have two who appear on a census, one is on the 1841 and the other died in 1862)
                Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 09-02-09, 15:05.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm definitely going up to Staffordshire this year. I'll have round up some of the family and go there en mass.

Sorry Merry, but it was my 4x's younger brother, Abraham died between 1861 and 1871 so I think you can stop humming now.
                  Hail Spode!

Comment

Well done Guy. Google is a fantastic tool.

Night Owl
                    I read that book. It also said that George's Road, where my paternal grandmother was born was almost as bad as Campbell Bunk! It had photos of the road but the houses were all built after grandmother was born, so no doubt hers looked even more grim!
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                      Well done Guy. Google is a fantastic tool.

Night Owl
                      I read that book. It also said that George's Road, where my paternal grandmother was born was almost as bad as Campbell Bunk! It had photos of the road but the houses were all built after grandmother was born, so no doubt hers looked even more grim!

That makes me feel a bit better - at least I'm not the only one ;) I'll look out for entries in the book about George's Road now
                      Jackie

Comment

After taking heart from Guybrush`s good fortune, I thought I`d give it a go. It came up with this:

which ties in nicely with my ancestors siblings thread, but looks like it`ll give me nightmares for weeks!
                        Does anyone think I should try to find the owner to get permission, or is it public now its on google?
                        Craig

Comment

It's comforting I can help give someone nightmares over the internet, usually it's just my close friends and family
                          Hail Spode!

Comment

Google is great and I have found quite a few bits and pieces on there.

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                            *sticks fingers in ears and hums loudly*

(I only have two who appear on a census, one is on the 1841 and the other died in 1862)
                            Just had a quick look in my tree. The latest 4x great grandparent to die (that I can see at the moment) was in 1910, aged 90

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

That's a great result well done!

I just googled an ancestors address to find that it is now a dry cleaners shop I wasn't expecting that! lol

Good luck with your future googling and research

Glees

Comment

Gosh my grandmother was born in 1888....I must be old

I was recently doing some reasearch for a friend and decided to Google the surname to see what came up and found a well reserached tree that gave all my friends ancestor way back.....some lines to 1200's

Comment

Merry half my 4x ggparents died after 1881. I haven't found them all so I can't comment on the rest.
                                  Kit

Comment

Working...
                                  X