Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which DOB is correct?

Hi

My Irish distant grandparents on the 1871-1901 census put their age at being born around 1847, but on the 1911 census they put their age as 6 years younger.

As they were born in Ireland im struggling to find any birth reference to either of them (i now have a suggested POB from the 1911 but thats all really), so all i have to go on is that their first child was born in 1868. I presume they werent both 15 at the time of the birth, however im sure that is not unheard of.

The 1911 census info was also written by an enumerator for this household and he has also put that the male was born in Limerick, Kilmarnock which im fairly certain are an Irish county and Scottish place? (however there is a place called Kilmallock which im sure is what he meant)

Also, can anyone tell me what the codes are after the place of birth on the census?
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

What codes? Can you give an example? Are you sure about the ages - often the writing is hard to decipher and 5 looks like 6 for example.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Have you tried looking at the BMD index for Ireland on Family search?

FamilySearch Record Search

I found a lot of my Irish ancestors on there.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

On the 1911 age is very clearly 58 for both, although i do have to say that i dont have full confidence in this image as it seems that later on the number of rooms was changed from 6 to 2, the "for P Hanley" was added in and the address was completely changed, all in different pen. 1901 is also clearly 54 and 53

After the places of birth, in red pen it says 623 for one place and 624 for another
        Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post

I have, and none of mine are on ther:(
          Robyne

Comment

Is this the Irish 1911 census or the English one?

I would imagine those numbers written in red pen were just a running total of something or other, and have no significance for the household.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Its the English one
              Robyne

Comment

As for the ages, usually the older the person, the less accurate the age, so I would think the ages on the earlier censuses are more likely to be correct.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

ok great, thanks very much
                  Robyne

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post

I have nothing to contribute. I just want to be able to get to the site without having to remember it; it won't let me bookmark it.

Thanks Wendy,

Hugo

Comment

Working...
                    X