Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed with finding family on passenger lists, Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with finding family on passenger lists, Please!

Hi All

Please bear with me as is a bit long winded!
    The Hall family on the 1901 census have three children born in Connington, USA and the rest are born in Sheffield. However, I can find no trace of them returning to England (1889 -1892) on the UK incoming lists on ancestry and a friend of mine had a look and couldn't see them going out to the U.S. ( 1879-1881)

This is the first time I have searched these lists so am not sure if I am just missing something so I wondered whether someone would mind having a look.

Thank you

William H Hall aged 45 occ Britannia metal smith b Sheff
    Annie E Hall aged 45 b Sheff
    Herbert aged 22 b Sheff (1879)

George H aged 20 b USA (1881)
    Bertha A aged 18 b USA (1883)
    Frank C aged 12 b USA (1889)

Edwin E aged 9 b Sheff (1892)
    Horace? aged 5 b Sheff (1896)

According to the Ancestry notes to the incoming passenger lists database:

The passenger lists date from 1878 to 1888 and 1890 to 1960. However, many of the pre-1890 lists were irregularly destroyed by the Board of Trade in 1900.

Comment

HI

Well they were in the UK for 1891 census as the full family are staying with Annie's mum Sarah Ann Burton in Nether Hallam so that cuts down the time frame a bit.
      WendyP

Comment

Thank you for the information Mary - no wonder I couldn't find them coming back to England, that will teach me to read more about the database before I search:o I was almost cross-eyed with Halls.
        So it should still be possible to find them going out to USA?

Wendy, thank you for finding them on the 1891 census.

Comment

Yes Kaz they are in the outgoing lists - at least I think I may have the correct family in October 1879, aboard the Scythia.
          Let me know if you can't find them and I will Pm you. (I hope this is the correct ones)
          herky
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Oh thank you Herky that would be great if you could! I can't find them as don't have access to that database!

Comment

They are on the New York passenger list arriving New York 22 Oct 1879,

William Henry 24 Blacksmith.
              Annie E 23
              William T 3
              Herbert 10mths

Can't see them in the 1880 US census yet though
              Last edited by fiona c; 09-02-09, 12:35.
              Fiona. xx

Comment

Kazz was Herbert Arthur Herbert or Herbert Arthur?

If he did have Arthur in his name I think I may have the family in 1880.

Edit: Sorry, on closer inspection I don't think so. Age of William is out and it says he was born in the US.
                Last edited by fiona c; 09-02-09, 12:45.
                Fiona. xx

Comment

Thank you Fiona, I did have a look too but on family search site nothing matches for 1880 for me either.
                  Last edited by Kaz in a Tizz; 09-02-09, 15:16.

Comment

Hi my name is Fiona, my Great Grandmother was Bertha Annie Hall who was born in Connington Colonia in 1873. I cannot find the passenger list for the Scythia in 1879 (as posted by Herky) and think I must be looking in the wrong place. I am also wondering if the family has been found on the US census. I am fascinated why the family went to Texas, it seems to early for the railroad. Thanks for any help

Comment

HiFfiona,
                      Do you have the name of any others who may have traveled with Bertha?
                      herky
                      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                        HiFfiona,
                        Do you have the name of any others who may have traveled with Bertha?
                        Hi, Sorry but I misunderstood your last mail and didn't look fully at the previous posts.
                        Bertha was not on the Scythia because she wasn't born yet - I thought she was b in 1883 in the US.
                        Is this the Bertha Annie that is mentioned in the first post on this thread or is it another one?

EDIT - oh I see (I must be tired and failing miserably here) if Bertha is the one b 1883 you still want the passenger list.
                        Last edited by herky; 02-02-12, 22:37.
                        herky

Comment

Working...
                        X