I've hit another wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've hit another wall

My Great Grandmother Isabella L Murdock was born in Ireland in 1855. Her parents names were Willis and Isabel. I have no other info on them. They evidentally immigrated to the USA because on her marriage license, she list Michigan as a place of residence when she married David Wylie 13 June 1882. He was born in Ontario Canada in Feb. of 1851 and they were married in Canada but he moved to Michigan after marriage.
    David's parents Helen and John were born in Scotland, but have no other info on them.
    Not much to go on )-:
    Have fun,
    Charlotte Roberts Russell

There is a Bell Murdock listed on the 1880 US census, a servant living in Michigan.

She states her POB as Canada, and her parents both Scottish. Could this be her?

Edit: Never mind. She's in Ontario with her family. You can find them free on the familysearch website under the census information.

Found David too. He's living alone though. Claims his birthplace is England? But he's of Scottish descent.
    Last edited by Orangeblossom; 08-02-09, 21:15.
    Tracy

Comment

bumping up for charlotte so she sees this thread, brenda xxx
      Last edited by KiteRunner; 09-02-09, 12:26.

Comment

Dear Tracy,
        This could be David. On the census it listed as birthplace "Canada-England" and his parents were from Scotland. Does this help?
        Charlotte

Comment

I did a quick search on scotlands people for the wedding of the parents John Wylie and Helen 1840-1851. No results for Wylie, but using a soundex returns 3 results. Unfortunately I don`t have any credits.
          Incidentally if you sign up for the ancestralscotland.com ebulletin they give you 10 free credits for scotlands people, so it might be a start.

Craig

Comment

Could mean English-Canadian, as opposed to French-Canadian.

The 1871 census is online for Canada and it's free to search. I have found Willis, in Seneca, Haldimand, Ontario. Unfortunately, it doesn't list anyone else with him but does give a page reference.

There are a few possible references for John Wylie. Is there any occupation listed on the marriage cert?
            Tracy

Comment

Hi Craig, Thanks for the input. I'll be signing up for the web site and hopefully will be able to get some results. I'll keep youu posted
              Charlotte

Comment

Hi Tracy, On the cert. he is listed as a carpenter. Hos do I go about checking on the info for Willia?
                Charlotte

Comment

Hi Craig, Well I didn't find any marriages for my relatives. The ones that showed up were later than 1851 when my granddad was born. They had no other children so I'm sure by checking from 1840 - 1851 we would have been able to find them. )-: Another dead in. Any more suggestions. I still have credits that need to be used by Sat.
                  Charlotte

Comment

Hi Tracy, On David's marriage license, he did list Ontario as his place of birth, so that takes care of him not being born in England.
                    Charlotte

Comment

Originally posted by wawarussell View Post
                      Hi Craig, Well I didn't find any marriages for my relatives. The ones that showed up were later than 1851 when my granddad was born. They had no other children so I'm sure by checking from 1840 - 1851 we would have been able to find them. )-: Another dead in. Any more suggestions. I still have credits that need to be used by Sat.
                      Charlotte
                      Charlotte,
                      there are two separate search options. You must have looked in "marriages 1855-1933", but you would need to look in "Banns & Marriages 1553-1854" in the Old Parish Records, and narrow the search years.
                      Craig

Comment

Hi Craig,Thanks so much. Will do
                        Charlotte

Comment

It's cut off because it isn't a marriage certificate (more correctly, register entry). Civil registration didn't start in Scotland until 1855. Prior to that you get a copy of what the parish register said. When it was scanned, they would try to just get the relevant entry in the scan. Pity it wasn't 1855 - you get stacks of info. from 1855 registers.

If you think the scan of the actual entry is curtailed, or if it's illegible, you can email SP and they'll look at it. If there's anything missing they'll usually rescan and email you a copy for free.
                          Last edited by Uncle John; 10-02-09, 10:19.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hit another wall

Well I messed up on this one. the marriage registration I found was for David in 1854 and not John. I thought his dad might have been John David but David was born in 1851 in Canada and his dad died shortly thereafter, so I barked up the wrong tree. Darn
                            Charlotte

Comment

Working...
                            X