Shot at Dawn website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shot at Dawn website

I am going to have a go at my brother in law family. One of his uncles was shot at dawn in WW1. Are the people listed on a website?

Here's a site that might help World War One Cemeteries, Shot at Dawn cemetery list
    Margaret

Comment

Here's another one Ahoy - Mac's Web Log - Shot at Dawn, WW1 Army Executions
      Margaret

Comment

I´ve got a couple of sites bookmarked which might help
        INDEX
        Ahoy - Mac's Web Log - Shot at Dawn, WW1 Army Executions
        Elaine

Comment

There is a bit on BBC site which gives background to hat happened to these men and why they were dealt with in this way BBC - History - Shot at Dawn: Cowards, Traitors or Victims?
          Margaret

Comment

There's a part of the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas, Staffs that is dedicated to those Shot at Dawn

The National Memorial Arboretum Home

Although it doesn't mention them specifically on the website there is a section devoted to those Shot at Dawn with a representative number of them named, their regiments, ages and nationality on wooden posts in the Arboretum East K13 section.

Looking at them there were some experienced soldiers amongst them which indicates that they weren't cowards at all as some people thought at one time but suffering from shell shock or trauma.
            Last edited by JBee; 08-02-09, 21:12.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

All I know is his surname was Gower.

Comment

The memorial at the National Arboretum is very simple but very, very moving. The posts, symbolic of the posts some of the poor souls were tied to prior to execution are set in a semi-circle around a large scuplture of a blindfolded soldier - I seem to recall that this figure was based on the youngest victims.

Comment

Some of the stories on the BBC web-site are really harrowing, like this one:

Many similar stories followed, among them that of 16-year-old Herbert Burden, who had lied that he was two years older so he could join the Northumberland Fusiliers. Ten months later, he was court-martialled for fleeing after seeing his friends massacred at the battlefield of Bellwarde Ridge. He faced the firing squad still officially too young to be in his regiment

Comment

There is a book 'Shot at Dawn' which you should be able to get from the library. It lists everyone shot at dawn, and gives a bit of background to each one. It was written by the person who has been campaigning for many years to get official pardons - as most of those shot were either very young, or probably memtally ill.

I found my mother's cousin in this book. He had what is now probably called 'learning difficulties', and was recomended for mercy, but he was still shot.

These have now all been officialy pardoned, but I don't know whether there is any official paperwork to be obtained.

Hope this helps

Anne

Comment

Thank you everyone.

The National Arboretum is only a few miles down the road from here at Alrewas. We keep saying we are going to visit and really must do.

I don't know for sure if he was Shot at Dawn. Apparently it is a family rumour because he is the only one of the family who died and isn't listed on the local war memorial. I don't even know his first name as yet. More research to do.

Comment

[IMG]C:\users\judith\desktop\shot at dawn memorial - National arboretum[/IMG]

I've tried to send a photograph of the memorial.

Comment

Sorry. Failed!

Comment

I've tried again..... I hope this comes with an attachment.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Julite.

Comment

by googling I managed to find the following list of soldiers 'shot at dawn'

I could not find a Gower though

George
                                Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                                  by googling I managed to find the following list of soldiers 'shot at dawn'

I could not find a Gower though

George
                                  Thanks George

I think it was one of those family legends.

Comment

just seen this thread one of mine was shot at dawn and im trying to find out who name was holder brenda xxx

Comment

Brenmac, it doesn't look like there's a Holder listed!
                                      Margaret

Comment

I have never heard of this and TBH I cant believe these people were shot by their own country men...... so sad!
                                        I’m no genealogist …
                                        Until this year I spelled it “GeneOlogist!"
                                        ;)

Comment

Working...
                                        X