X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1860s adoption brick wall

Any advice would be great.

I'm trying to find my 3xG grandparents.

My 2xG Grandfather James Oakes is on the 1861 census aged 2 years born in Wolstanton, Staffordshire, he's listed as a visitor. He's living with William and Emma Galley. In 1871 he's listed as an adopted son born in Chesterton (although it's a ditto of the previous entry).

There's two entries on the freebmd

OAKES James Holier Wolstanton 6b 76
    OAKES James Wolstanton 6b 88

Can anyone discount either one of these or if not advise me in finding James' parents another way?
    Hail Spode!

The 1859 one fits better with the age on the census. He would have shown as 1 year if he was the Dec 1860 registration.

Comment

Yeah I was thinking that but in all the census records there's no evidence of the middle name of Holier but then as he didn't know his family, I suppose he and his adopted family may have never known the middle name.
      Hail Spode!

Comment

Or they may not have bothered with it. I have lots of folk who ignore their middle names and others who invent middle names!

As you probably know, legal adoption didn't come into being until 1927.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yeah I didn't expect any adoption records, it probably wasn't even voluntary to declare it then was it?

I'll have to get the marriage record and hope he didn't just write William Galley as the father.
          Hail Spode!

Comment

I've just found a possible marriage between a John Oakes and an Edna Hollins. If James Holier is really James Hollins I'd be able to save £7.00. What do you think, could this be Hollins?

Hail Spode!

Comment

The letter at the end is definitely an r.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

And he is also listed as James Holier on the Staffordshire BMD site (unfortunately no mother's maiden name given on there)
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Okiedokie thanks.

£7.00 it is then.
                  Hail Spode!

Comment

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I just got round to getting the birth certificate and now I have a problem.

The mother is Sarah Oakes of Gibsons Row, Chesterton and there is no father. I imagine I have the correct cert as this seems a good reason for the adoption. Now I need to find Sarah on the censuses. Without an age or place of birth I'm rather stuck. There are no Oakes in Gibsons Row in 1861 and I cant find it in 1851 (perhaps not built then).

Any suggestions?
                    Hail Spode!

Comment

Hi Guy.

It is possible that your James mother was related to either William or Emma Galley. Have you investigated them ? Possible sister of Emma for example. This has happened lots of times on my tree. They are down as 'visitor', and turn out to be a child of a dead or unmarried sibling
                      Pam

Comment

Well I have looked into William and he just seems to be a decent chap who adopted a couple of kids. His wife's maiden name was Vigers. I haven't looked up his siblings so I suppose I could do that.
                        Hail Spode!

Comment

Working...
                        X