Dongle / help / info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dongle / help / info

I have a table top Computer Vista also a small netbook computer can anyone tell me what benifit it would be for me to have a Dongle I keep reading about them but dont understand what they are all about thank you for any info

Granabella

Granabella,

Why do you think you need a dongle, and for what purpose...

The only 2 types in common use would be for wireless connectivity, or for wireless broadband via a mobile operator....

Given that most, if not all, netbooks have wireless adapters built in.. and that your desktop PC is likely to be connected to your router/modem with a cable .. I cannot see how a dongle of either type would be of benefit...
    https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Hi,yes I agree with what you have written/said but was just wondering if I took my Netbook when visiting would a Dongle be of use then or not thank you

Comment

If you take your netbook somewhere where they have wifi available for you to access then you wouldn't need a dongle, but if there is no wifi then you can use a dongle for mobile broadband" - using a mobile network. The signals for this don't cover the whole country, though, so you would need to check coverage before buying. Also you usually have to either sign up to a 12- or 18-month contract or pay up front for the dongle and then buy a topup each month that you want to use it.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you Kite Runner,yes I understand what you are saying it has been very helpfull,just one thing what is Wifl is it the Router/box we have for Broadband I am still learning I thought buying the Dongle was a one off payment so dont think I will be getting it if I have to pay for using it.hope all this makes sence
          Granabella

Comment

Granabella, if you have a wireless router in your house then yes, that would provide the wifi for the netbook when you use it at home, but what I meant was when you are out, you would need there to be wifi at the place you are visiting - i.e. the people you are visiting have a wireless router or you are at one of those cafes, bars etc that say wifi is available for their customers (some provide this free to customers and some places you have to pay to use it.)
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you Kite Runner ,got it ! so thanks again I keep learning little things I do like to understand about all the little Gadgets and how they work.
              Granabella

Comment

The other common use for a dongle is for mobile broadband. If you look at the mobile broadband packages some come with a free dongle, others you have to buy seperately.

TBH unless you find you need internet access away from home alot, then it just isn't worth it, very expensive and not that fast, plus very restricted download amounts.
                Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks Pete,not going to bother now as I dont think it will be much use for me after all thanks everyone.

Granabella

Comment

I have a dongle that came with a mobile phone. It's for bluetooth and I use it to send photos from my phone to my laptop.
                    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Hi Granny Lyne,that does sound interesting I might look into it, I take a lot of Photo's
                      camera and phone.

Granabella

Comment

Working...
                      X