Hay Polisher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hay Polisher?

On the 1911 census my Gt/Gran is a Hay polisher, does anyone know what this is?
    Georgy:smilee:

Are you sure that's what it says? Where was she living? Can you post the image?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Lay Preacher?

Comment

I haven't seen the original image only the transcript and that is what it says, she was a steel toy forgers wife on the 1881 census.
        They lived in Birmingham

Comment

Definately not a lay preacher, not my Gt/Gran. Well I would be amazed if she was lol

Should be Gt Gt /Gran
          Last edited by georgy; 08-02-09, 17:13. Reason: correction

Comment

Hay polisher sounds unlikely. Might be a toy polisher if her husband made steel toys?

You'd do best to get the image, though, as it may have been mistranscribed.

Even steel toys sounds a bit unlikely to me. What's her name, so we can check in 1881?

Comment

Elizabeth Perks 1846
              Arthur Perks 1844
              children Arthur, Elizabeth,Emily and Albert
              Lived in Aston

Comment

Hubby got me some credits and it looks like tray not hay polisher, definately polisher though, can't post image sorry haven't a clue how to

Comment

Well tray polisher would make sense. It was fashionable in the early 1900s to have shiney trays; silver, silver plate; steel etc. They would definately need polishing before going for sale and this is just the right sort of occupation in that area.

Anne

Comment

Thanks all, I'm wondering now if they were Steel Tray makers not toy makers, Her husband Arthur worked with his Father Henry Perks and he was down as a Furniture Broker and Steel toy maker so I'm going to have to look at the images again to see if it says tray.Thanks again

Comment

Hat polisher maybe?
                      Jess

Comment

Working...
                      X