A request for our Scottish members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A request for our Scottish members

I have had a few threads running recently which have had over 1000 views, they were mostly about saving money on a certain subscription, this one is even better, i can point you towards FREE photographs but to make the resource even better i need your help.

Are there any Scottish members who can help with the project at all?

There are several ways you can contribute towards what is (hopefully) becoming the premier online source of copyright free images and information relating to the churches in Scotland. Our very own Places of Worship (POW) project here on FTF.

The only downside to the project is that you still have to put up with me as a co-ordinator, sorry but that is the price you have to pay.

Images
    Anyone with a camera can help by taking photographs, you don't have to make a special trip, even if you can only photograph the odd building close to where you live each contribution helps. Anyone visiting the area can also help too, every image added means one less to take in future. No particular expertise behind the camera is needed and an image can always be enhanced a little if needed.

Can you help by taking a few photographs?

Information
    The Scotland POW project features many "talk pages" which give a brief description about the building along with dates and notable events connected to many of the buildings.

Do you have any information or a website link that may help to create or add to a talk page?

Database of submitted and required photographs
    After much burning of midnight oil a database of submitted photographs has been completed and is now online at http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/..._WIKI_Scotland
    Updates to the database are made as required thanks to the efforts of one member who volunteered around Christmas 2008, a few minutes each day are given over to checking the latest submissions and adding them into the database, a thankless task and not very glamourous but a hugely important one nonetheless.

The database of required photographs is underway but at present is a long way from completion, can you help by compiling a list of POW buildings (past and present) in your area and sending the information to me for inclusion?

If you haven't seen any of the pages then click the following link,

the Scotland county listings are at the bottom of the page (we saved the best country till last ), simply click the county you are interested in (either from a research or contribution angle) to see how far the project has progressed and how far we stil have to go.

Any contribution however small is always welcome, if you would like to help or just want to ask a question and learn a little more about the project then shout up. There will always be someone to help with an answer and you just might be able to help another researcher with an image or information that has eluded them for some time.

Scotland Country & County WIKI Pages are also being updated with new links and additions. Please see post 12 in this thread for some of the latest news and info about submitting a link you think may be useful to other researchers.
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 15-02-09, 17:56.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Does anyone require a particular photograph for a Scottish POW?

If so please add your requests to the discussion threads on the regional boards, http://www.familytreeforum.com/scotland/

by discovering who can photograph certain areas we may be able to cover some as yet untapped areas.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Hi Glen,
      Last time we visited Scotland, we went to what used to be the street where I did some of my growing up. Most of it had changed;The street itself no longer existed, but we did find the church, looking very much as it had done way back then.
      It used to be Plantation Street off Paisley Road West. The tenements had all gone and there were nice little brick houses and blocks of flats.
      We took a couple of pictures of the church (Kinning Park Parish Church I think,) and I could have sworn I also took one of the Baptist Church on what had been Craigiehall Street, which was also still there, but I cannot find that one at all, so maybe I didn't.
      No worries about copyright, it is my photograph!
      How do I get the piccy to you?
      Best regards
      Wee Ann

Comment

Hi Ann

Usually we ask members to add the picture to the relevant regional threads by using an image hosting site such as photobucket (PB).
        If you are unfamiliar with a site such as PB and it's just an odd picture or two then i can send you my e-mail addy if that is easier. You can then send them direct to me as an attachment and i'll do the rest.

There is a screenshot guide to using PB at the following link

It doesn't matter how big the image is (the bigger the better really) as i can resize them but ideally the minimum should be the 640 x 480 size.

i'm logging off for the night now but if you need any help or want my e-mail addy just shout up.
        Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 08-02-09, 22:20.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

98 views and just the yin offer, i cannay get ma heed roon yous lot

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Hi Glen,
            Just saw this thread, so thought I`d better try to lend a hand! I`m based in the west end of Glasgow so just let me know if theres anything in the area you would like. I`ve only got a camera phone though so I`m not sure about the resolution etc. Do you need to get permission from the vicar/minister/priest to take photos or can you just go ahead?
            Craig

Comment

Hi Craig

No special permission is required, i'm not sure how well the phone used as a camera would be though to be honest, i don't think anyone has tried as yet.
              We do have around a dozen churches photographed so far in Glasgow so i reckon that leaves a fair few still to get (understatement of the year :D).

Even if you just managed to list a few from the phone book or similiar and send the list in a private message to me that would help with the database i'm working on.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Hi Glen,
                Me again! If you don't mind sending me your E-mail address? I think that would probably be the best way to go. I'm not really good on learning "new stuff".
                Best regards
                Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Bentley View Post
                  Hi Glen,
                  Me again! If you don't mind sending me your E-mail address? I think that would probably be the best way to go. I'm not really good on learning "new stuff".
                  Best regards
                  Ann

Thankyou Ann, i have sent you a message.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I will do a few for you in my area, once the roads are bit better. I'd be happier if you sent me your email addy as I tries something like this before to help out the Scottish War Memorials bunch and by photies kept disappearing off the site. Never figured out why.
                    If I get time I'll also try a few in West Lothian and do Shotts for you this weekend. Unless of course OH has plans to whisk me off somewhere romantic LOL

Comment

Well, it's nice to see some photographs as a result of the thread, a nice snow covered church and some in the winter and even one church lurking next to a blossoming tree too.

A little bit of everything so far and all very welcome, all the ones received so far have been added to the wiki and a small number have been put on the county boards as a little teaser to tempt you to have a closer look at the wiki pages.

*we interrupt this thread for an important announcement*

News just coming in suggests Lovettpod has succesfully negotiated the first edit of the database and is now breathing without assistance again and was last seen scouring the nooks and crannies for late additions to include on her next foray beyond the edit button.... Helen, we wish you well and can i say thankyou for your help so far with the boring oily bits that make life so much easier for me.;)

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Scotland Country & County WIKI Page Updates

A few new links have come to light in the last day or two and added to the relevant pages, look out for the new additions flagged up by the red new icons alongside the entries.

Recent additions;

Monumental Inscription and burial ground/graveyard sites, many feature either a searchable database and/or images.

East Lothian County Page, new links for register office, library and MI sites

-----

If anyone finds a site they would like to see included, (either a useful country wide or a county/town site) that they think may be useful for other researchers then please add the url and a brief description to the following thread for inclusion http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki-...ken-links.html
                        Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 15-02-09, 18:00.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

LOL Glen - just spotted the previous post...thanks!:o:o

'tis but a drop in the ocean
                          ;) Helen x

Comment

I just wanted to give a little recognition for your efforts and commitment Helen, the database is useful for the members of other sites who are looking to contribute towards the pow project as well as everyone here on FTF.

It also makes it easier for me to check what and where the talk pages might be lacking too so it may only seem a small drop in the ocean but a hugely important one to the POW project.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

There is this one on Tulliallan Churchyard:

KLHG - Tulliallan Churchyard Restoration Project

Very good if you have ancestors from that part of Scotland.

Janet

Comment

Hi Glen,
                                we're planning a summer holiday in the NW of Scotland inc the Isle of Lewis. Also a week around Dumfries - so in a few months I should be able to offer you a few photos. Keep up the good work!
                                Kind regards,
                                William
                                Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Just another bump and a call for help.

The pow project for Scotland now has images for over 220 buildings in 21 counties, around 130 buildings are mentioned on talk pages, some of the remotest buildings are the hardest to research so talk page coverage for those areas is sometimes not quite as good as for others.

The database of submitted images
                                  Places of Worship Photos ON the WIKI Scotland - Family Tree Forum

also lists all buildings with a talk page (look for the "+" symbol after the church name).

Can anyone help with historical information for the churches currently without a talk page at all please?

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Over 220 buildings now with close to 150 talk pages.

I'll rephrase the last comment in the post above

Is anyone going to come forwards and help with historical information for any of the buildings or is it a case of stopping the project due to lack of interest and support?

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Recently added items

The response to the request in the last post above has been absolutely zero. To say i am dissapointed is an understatement. No contributions, images or offers of information have been made whatsoever.

A lot of work has gone into using what has already been submitted, new pages created, ideas tried, layouts refined and hundreds of hours spent researching, inputting and editing. The majority of the project is a result of just six or seven people, two of those people are not members of FTF but willingly contribute to the project by way of images and information, it's quite a sad state to be in when non family historians from outside websites contribute 20% of the content to our project. We have over 6000 members here but i have to beg steal and borrow from members of outside websites as our own members don't or won't contribute. WHY?

I doubt anyone will respond to the "WHY?" question if past experience is anything to go by. I will ask once again "Is anyone going to come forwards and help?"

The project now has images for around 300 buildings (plus around 150 additional hi res images with alternate views and some interior images held on cd), approximately 200 buildings have a historical talk page

Recent Additions to the Scotland POW project from January to mid February

Berwickshire:
                                      Additional images and talk pages

Kirkcudbrightshire:
                                      New photographs and talk pages

Lanarkshire;
                                      40+ Photographs added to Glasgow
                                      20+ new listings on the Glasgow talk page
                                      Listings of demolished Glasgow buildings on a brand new page

New pictures and talk pages for 5 other Lanarkshire Parishes.

Roxburghshire;
                                      New images and additional talk pages.

---
                                      Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 27-03-09, 11:34.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen
                                        What are the rules re using google earth pics of churches - mostly only in plan view but increasingly street view as well ??? I know you can download them , I have for design projects.

While I'm about it do we have photos of war memorials on here ? Cos theres one about 20 yards from where I'm sitting !!

Roger

Comment

Working...
                                        X