Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on a birth abt 1800, please

Hi all,
    I am a bit stuck on someone lost before useful census info.

I can go back through the Newell family to 1841:

in 1841
    Somers Town,St Pancras, Westminster
    Jeremiah NEWELL40 occupation 'comb maker' born in county -No
    Jane 40 -No
    Thomas 10 -yes

from later censuses I know Thomas was born in 'Westminster' and mum, Jane came from Devon (maiden name Larcombe).
    But Jeremiah died just before the 1851 so I have nothing helpful.

I cannot find a birth for Thomas or a marriage for Jeremiah and Jane (both would have been before 1837)
    I have tried IGI (I can see a baptism for Anne, a later sibling,in St Pancras, but not Thomas-I have trawled through all the church batches in the area. Anne's spelling was 'Newel')
    I have tried Pallots (there is a good looking marriage just 'Larcombe' and also just 'Newell' no first names, but City of Westminster archives said they couldn't find anything for 'Jeremiah Newell' or a baptism for Thomas)

On IGI there is a Jeremiah Newal 1797 born to Edward and Hannah, Ribbesford, Worcs. Their next 3 children all had the surname spelled differently! One is Daniel.

Ribbesford:
    In the 1851 I can see a Daniel Newhall (Newall in the 1861!)
    he is a 'comb maker' too.
    In the 1841 there is a David Newell, also a 'comb maker', with a son, Nathan.

'David' and 'Nathan' went on to be family names for Jeremiah's grandson...

Unfortunately I had no reply from the Ribbesford family history society when I enquired. But I want to find Jeremiah!!

My main questions are- am I reading too much into the occupation/names being the same?
    Where do I look next?

I'm the first to admit I'm rubbish on IGI/parish stuff, very hit and miss... any ideas??

There is an Anne Newell birth reg at St Pancras Mar 1842 vol 1 p 326, which matches the IGI baptism entry - you could order her birth certificate and that will give you Jane's maiden name to look for the marriage.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks, Kiterunner- I know Jane's maiden name (Larcombe) and still can't see the marriage. (She had 2 of her brothers living with her in later censuses and I can trace her back in their family.)
      Her marriage to Jeremiah would have been pre 1837.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't notice you already had her maiden name. But if you get Anne's birth certificate, it would also tell you any other surnames that Jane had before, i.e. it would tell you if she was married before she married Jeremiah.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

True.....worth a try!

Comment

Hi and welcome to FTF!

firstly, do you have Jeremiahs death cert? and secondly did he leave a will?
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Darksecretz- sorry, thought this thread had died out..!!!
              The answer is No, I don't have his death cert, looks like that will be next. (I have ordered Anne's birth as Kiterunner suggests above.) He died 1851, right before census, would it have useful stuff on it at that date?
              I have never traced a will- he was a humble workman, how likely is it he would have had one?? And where do I look?
              I paid for 'British Origins' to check the Boyds indexes, as the nice person at the gene instutute looked on Pallots and no sign of the marriage (or baptism of Thomas), but I can't find anything on Boyds either.......

Comment

Working...
              X