Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translate to english from italian plzz

Hi all,

This is my great grandads birth cert from Italy can someone Translate to english please

Just trying to decipher it - I'll come back to you shortly.

Comment

This is the first part (my notes in square brackets):

No. 230
      Sterlini Giovanni

This 1st day of October 1885 at 10 a.m. at the Town Hall,
      the following person appeared before me, Vincenzo Mardini, secretary holding powers delegated by the Mayor on 28th December 1865, duly approved Registrar of the Bardi Town Council:

Giovanni Sterlini aged 48, farmer, resident at Credarola, who declared that at 9.a.m. on 30th ult. [30th September], at the house situated at Granelli, no. 4, a male child was born to Maria Vaccari, ag. lab., his wife living with him, which he did not present to me, and to whom he gives the names Giovanni, Giuseppe Giacomo
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-02-09, 16:21.

Comment

So would his name be Giovanni, Giuseppe Giacomo Sterlini?

Comment

Map showing Credarola (just to the south-east of Bardi):

bardi italy - Google Maps

Comment

When I registered my son's birth 20 years ago, the Registry Office told me that they have a rather odd system here.

I wanted to give my son two Christian names, and they asked me where I wanted to put the comma.

Apparently if you call your child John William Smith with no comma, his "official" Christian names are John William, and they have to appear on all documents. However, if you call him John, William Smith, his official name is John, and his unofficial second Christian name is William. When he fills in official documents, only the name John should appear.

So in your case, the full name was Giovanni Giuseppe Giacomo (John Joseph James) Sterlini, but his official name, which would appear in documents, was plain Giovanni (John) Sterlini.

Comment

Mary your are a star.

So that is my dads grandad. I am so happy. Took ages to get that birth cert.

Thank you so much for helping me out here mary. Big X for you

Comment

You're very welcome I'm still trying to decipher the second part, which is about the witnesses - there's probably nothing very interesting in it, but you never know.

Comment

Here's the second part of the certificate; I couldn't read it all, but I don't think the missing words are important.

The following persons were present as witnesses to the above facts and this deed: Lorenzo? Jecci aged 40, farmer, and Natale Solari, aged 26?, farmer, both resident in this municipality. The declaror was exempted by me from presenting the said child to me in view of the distance between the place of birth and this office, after I had established by other means that the birth had actually taken place. This deed was read to the appearing parties; only the witness Solari [illegible] signed it, while the others [illegible].

Natale Solari

Mardini
                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-02-09, 18:40.

Comment

Thank You very much Mary for your time, you have done a great job

Comment

Working...
                    X