Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help finding my great, grandparents, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding my great, grandparents, please!

I'm trying to find info on my great grandparents, specifically in relation to their death. I have quite a lot of other info, but have been unable to find death records. This is what I have:

Joseph Ord b. 1876 South Hetton, Co. Durham
    Elizabeth Short b. 1877 Murton Colliery, Co. Durham
    m. 26 Sep 1896 Dalton-le-Dale, Co. Durham

I have 1881 census records for both of them and 1891 for Joseph, but that's where it seems to stop. For some reason, I've recorded that they both died in 1901, but I don't know where that info came from, because I didn't record the source. I do know that there was a smallpox epidemic around that time, though, so that may have been the cause.

My grandfather, Joseph, was born on 5 Sep 1897 and had two brothers, John b. 1899 and Robert b. 1901. It could be that Elizabeth died in childbirth, but it seems a coincidence that both she and Joseph died (or may have) in the same year. I can't find any of them on the 1901 census and the 1911 census doesn't have Durham records yet.

Does anyone have any idea where and how I can search next?

Thanks!
    Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

You'll find them in 1901, surname mistranscribed as Ortt.

Comment

My, you're good, Mary. LOL! Thank you! Better check deaths for Ortt, too.
      Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

No problem If you can't find someone, it's always worth trying a search with no surname.

Finding their deaths is going to be more difficult, because they could perfectly well have lived until the 1970s, and FreeBMD is only up to the 1930s if I remember rightly.

Comment

I don't remember them from when I was a child, so they must have been dead well before then. My mother never mentioned them either.

Comment

do you suppose they stayed co.Durham to end their days?
            Jess

Comment

I would say they did, Jess. My grandparents lived in Murton.

Comment

I've had a quick look on FreeBMD for deaths for Joseph Ord in Co. Durham, but I can't see one of the right age. I think you'll have to wait for Durham to be added to the 1911 census to narrow down the time frame a bit.

Comment

You could try having a look on this site; I haven't used it myself as I don't have anyone in Co. Durham:

Durham Records Online: Search Census and Church Records

Comment

Familyhistoryonline has one hit for the burial of a Joseph Ord in Northumberland and Durham burials in 1929:

Joseph ORD found in Northumberland and Durham Burials 1 entry in Durham during 1929 details £0.08
                    FamilyHistoryOnline - searchable databases for family history & genealogy in England, Wales & Australia

It'll cost 8p to get the details from FHO, but I think the minimum purchase of credits is £5.
                    It'll also be in the FindmyPast database.
                    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-02-09, 14:03.

Comment

There are 3 entries for Elizabeth Ord:

1. Elizabeth ORD found in National Burial Index (Cleveland FHS) 1 entry in Durham during 1917 details £0.05

2. Elizabeth Ellen ORD found in Northumberland and Durham Burials 1 entry in Durham during 1919 details £0.08

3. Elizabeth Jane ORD found in Northumberland and Durham Burials 1 entry in Durham during 1935 details £0.07

This page shows what the database includes:

Family History Online - Available databases

Bear in mind that none of those entries may be yours, because you can't specify age in the search.

Comment

Crosschecking against FreeBMD, I don't think any of those burials are yours, except possibly the Elizabeth in 1935, which doesn't appear on FreeBMD yet. You could check it in the complete deaths index on Ancestry.

Comment

Thanks for all your help. Mary. I'll be checking all of these later.

Comment

If Joseph died before Elizabeth, then Elizabeth could have remarried in which case her death would be registered under her new surname.
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                            X