Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help I've got a problem with FTM 2008

*****sorted now thank you*****

I'm not sure whether this should be on the Computer Problem thread or this one.

I loaded FTM 2008 onto my PC three days ago, after having it for about 5 months! I've never used FTM before. I decided to copy my tree from GR onto it, add a bit, then upload it onto this site. All OK.

Yesterday I added some more info onto FTM and saved it as I did before (backed it up into a file in My Documents). Now when I try to open it I get the error message Family Tree Maker 2008 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

This happens if I try the shortcut on my desktop and the programme from Program Files. Is there anything I can do or have I lost it all?
    Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 08-02-09, 11:52.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Don't know what the problem is but you could try un-installing it and re-installing it. Your file will still be there if you backed it up. If you have a gedcom of your tree, you will be able to open that in any family tree program.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Wendy. I'll try uninstalling then reinstalling.

I do have a Gedcom of my tree, but it wants to open with FTM. I don't know how to open it with another family tree program. I do also have PAF 5, can I open the Gedcom with that even though it is saved in FTM?

Sorry, my brain seems to have frozen today and it's probably a silly question.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

You should be able to Import the Gedcom into any program. Look in the Menu of PAF 5 and see if there is an "Import gedcom" option.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thank you Wendy. I've imported the Gedcom into PAF, but it won't let me do the latest one. Maybe I did something wrong when I saved it. Oh well, I've only lost 3 or 4 people so it shouldn't take me long to put them back.

Thanks again, I'm just going to try uninstalling and reinstalling FTM now.

Sorted I went to uninstall and it asked if I wanted to do a repair when prompted, so I did. It seems to have resolved the problem now.
          Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 08-02-09, 11:51.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Right click on the gedcom file icon and from the list select "Open With" you can then choose which program to open the gedcom with.
            Best Wishes
            Ron
            www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Working...
            X