No access to e-mails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No access to e-mails

When I go to E-mail it either downloads or says no further messages,,but today I have a little box " Windows E Mail " Windows security and Logon to mail.
    Please verify the user name and password for your computer..
    I have tried several possibilities for both but still cam't get access...when I have not remembered my password before there has always been a facility to request it..but this time nothing..I can't get in,
    Does anyone know what or who is insisting completing this box...that is, could it be my isp or a problem in my computer..
    I have been on to a windows site where someone today has the same problem..he also has forgotten name and password..but a reply to his query just says that you don't need to log in for e-mails

Although I have no idea why I have to confirm my name and password I decided to telephone my ISP to see if they could confirm them..25 minutes of listening to the same miserable song I was told that all systems are down..his computer is down and I should phone back tomorrow...
    Hopefully they will be able to confirm my user name and password tomorrow

Comment

Colin are you with Virgin Media by any chance?
      With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Talktalk emails are down at the moment

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Colin are you with Talktalk I have had more problems lately ,and that dreadful song they play does my head in I find myself holding the phone as far away as possible.

Comment

Colin, we were getting the same problem last night and earlier on today (Virgin Media) but only for one of our email accounts - the main one. We kept entering the username (it is supposed to be the bit that goes before @ntlworld.com or whatever in your email address, e.g. colin.taylor or whatever.) And we put the correct password in. But it just kept coming back asking us to enter it again, so we had to click on "cancel" to stop it.

But we went onto the webmail and logged on there using the full email address and same password and got access to the emails o.k. I then resorted to adding a new "account" to Windows Mail and put in the username and password in the details and that worked o.k. and retrieved the emails, but I think it may have just been a coincidence, because then the original account started working o.k. too so I deleted the new one.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

TalkTalk and AOL use the same mail server service

Because of the major power outage in the West Country, these servers are offline

Most probably the same factor with other providers.

Val,
              Save your money when you have problems and use the TalkTalk members forum, it is manned by knowledgable usesr and some actual talktalk engineers

Researching:
              FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Virgin Media service status line has a recorded message apologising for the fact that many people nationwide are unable to access their email but engineers are working on it and hope to have it resolved by 8am

G'nite
                With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Thank you for your replies... yes I am with Talk Talk...but now that I know it is not just my computer I will have to use some patience...The e-mail is still not working..but everything else is OK.
                  I have in the past asked for confirmation of passwords etc and kept the rep;ies for reference...but I got a new computer last September and no longer have the replies..Getting old is wonderful

Comment

Have you tried to access your emails via webmail?
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I googled webmail and tried it but again incorrect password....I phoned talktalk again 40 minutes of We are Together but now I have my user name and password and access to my e-mails.

Comment

your not wrong there Trevor I had to use their Geek squad when my Laptop would not connect using a adaptor I had bought, spent ages on the phone and they could not fix it, then found out from the shop the adaptor would not work with a Talktalk Router ??? why they did not mention that I dont know.

Comment

Val,
                          I
                          am feeling rather worried reading these emails. I am changing to TalkTalk on Tuesday if I am lucky. I plan at the moment to continue to use my modem rather than the router as I only have one PC. Some say it is better to use the router, anyway time will tell. I understand that the telephone could be off for twenty minutes or even all day and if things do not work to leave things alone for a further twenty four hours. Husband not happy as we have a family crisis just at this time.
                          Margaret N
                          DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

be very wary Margaret although you may be lucky must say its okay till you have a problem then the help line isnt very helpful in my experience.
                            I dont think it will go off for long mine didnt, and good luck

Comment

My advice is if you use an ISP and they provide a Router, use it.
                              You will find that they are using ones that are compatible to their systems.
                              Install CDs are geared to work with them.

Unless you are experienced in manually setting up a home network (which is not that hard once you know how), you will get problems with compatibiltity.
                              Phoning a help line will get a person going through a checklist that just cannot have all the veriables for non-compatible hardware that the user insists on using

As I keep saying
                              "if it aint broke, don't fix it"

Researching:

Comment

thing is Trevor I told them in the shop which router I had and I also told talktalk when I rang them.

Comment

Working...
                                X