Worrall, Marritt, Johnson, Coy - Yorkshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worrall, Marritt, Johnson, Coy - Yorkshire

Any Worrall information would be very welcome as I have so little of it. If you come across anything on Henry Worrall born c 1840 Patrington it would be very welcome as he seems to disappear before 1871. His wife Nancy ( nee Marritt born c 1833 Out Newton, E. Yorks) never remarried but went to live with Johnson Coy / Coy Johnson( b c1824) as his house keepr. They must have had quite a close relationship as her children by Henry Worrall took on the surname Johnson Worrall. I have no idea what happened to Henry - no death cert etc and I would love to solve the mystery!
    Last edited by GrandmaSilver; 07-02-09, 15:37.

Hi Grandma and welcome to FTF.

You'll be surprised by what the folk here can achieve. The tried and tested way to find people reliably is to work backwards from what you are certain of. So for starters - where have you found Johnson Worrall (censuses etc.) and are you sure he's the correct link to your later rellies?
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

1861 Henry & Nancy are with her parents

1871 Nancy is keeping house for Johnson Coy - next door to her widowed mother. Her marital status is given as married, rather than widowed, She and the children have retained the name Worrell. Perhaps Henry was not at home for the night of census. He was a groom in 1861 - could have been away with his employer, or attending a foaling??

Nancy still with Johnson in 1881 - she is still Mrs Worrall and no additional children in the last 10 years.
      Jay
      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 07-02-09, 16:35.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Worrall/Worrill, Marritt, Johnson, Coy - Yorkshire

Hi,
        Henry Worrall and his wife Nancy appear on the 1861 census at her parents house.
        Database: 1861 England Census
        Hannah Marritt abt 1805 Aldbrough, Yorkshire, England Wife Out Newton Yorkshire
        William Marritt abt 1795 Skeffling, Yorkshire, England Head Out Newton Yorkshire
        Henry Worrall abt 1840 Patrington, Yorkshire, England Son-in-law Out Newton Yorkshire
        Nancy Worrall abt 1833 Out Newton, Yorkshire, England Daughter Out Newton Yorkshire

Cannot find them on 1871 census

On the next census Henry does not appear anywhere only Nancy and the children.
        1881 Patrington
        Johnston Coy Head Unmarried 57 Farm labourer Easington
        Nancy Worrill Housekeeper Married 49 Outnewton
        Sarah Worrill Daughter 13 Sch Outnewton
        Harriet Worrill Daughter11 Sch Outnewton
        Fanny Worrill Daughter 11 Sch Outnewton

The next time I can find any mention is on the 1901 census when Fanny and her sister are listed separatley in service.

My great grand mothers name was Sarah Johnston Worrall - daughter of Henry Worrall and Nacy Marritt. Sarah named her son William Johnson Tiplady.
        Last edited by GrandmaSilver; 07-02-09, 17:13.

Comment

1871 Johnson, Hannah & the girls are in Easington.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

1891 Out Newton
            Johnson, Nancy & grandson Fred B Worrell aged 1yr, born Out Newton (transcribed as Woodell)

Jay
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 07-02-09, 17:03.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

So is Nancy's surname Johnston 1891? Is she married/widowed? And I wonder who Freds parents are?

Comment

Fanny ( nee Worrall) had a son called Fred b c1890 but his suname was Bosman.

Comment

Just looked again and Fred was born before his mother married on 26 Dec 1892 !

Comment

Was trying to post, just as we went off!

Fred Bosman Worrall Jun qtr 1890 Patrington Reg dist. (birth)

There is also this marriage Harriet Worrall & Fred Bosman Dec qtr 1897 Patrington Reg Dist (see you've posted Fred belonged to Fanny, NOT Harriet!) Is this your Harriet?

Jay
                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 07-02-09, 18:30.
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Still playing catch up :D
                      Nancy retains the name Worrill, and the status of married! Wonder what happened to Henry, if he went before the birth of any of the girls?

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Cor, this is getting complicated.
                        Fanny and Harriet were twin sisters of my great grand mother Sarah.( The chidren of Henry and Nancy Worrall/ Worrill )

Harriet married Fred Bosman in 1897.
                        They had only one son that I can find - Albert born 1899 at Sunk Island.

Fanny married Edward (aka Ned) Bosman in 1892
                        They had
                        Fred 1890- before they were married *see note further down
                        Charles Edward 1893
                        Ada 1899
                        Harold 1900
                        Frances 1904
                        Edith 1906
                        Thomas 1908

Edward Bosman b1863 and Fred Bosman b1872 were first cousins

*(Fred Bosman WORRALL R.I.P.
                        Service Number: Z/8070
                        Division: Anson Battalion RN Div
                        Service: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
                        Date of Death: 1918-10-08
                        Age at Death: 28
                        Residence:
                        Spouse:
                        Marital Home:
                        Birth Family: Son of Edward and Fanny Bosman
                        Birth Family Home: Clarkes Lane Patrington
                        Notes:
                        Official Memorial: Vis-En-Artois Memorial - Pas De Calais
                        France
                        Last edited by GrandmaSilver; 07-02-09, 19:01.

Comment

Working...
                        X