Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have hit a brick wall

Hi all
    I hope some kind person can help me out.
    Here goes, I’m trying to trace my family tree back but I have a problem and it is my granddad Jack Ormerod ho has just died and wouldn’t talk about his past at all. He was born March 1919 Broadoak Lane, Jericho, Bury. His mam was called Ellen Ormerod; his farther is unknown on his birth certificate. Jack was brought up in a children’s home in Manchester, possibly Winton of star cottage homes or Mertel cottage home, but I can’t find ether of them on the net. IV looked up Ellen Ormerod and found (if this is the right one) Birth 1893 Bury, Lancashire, England, in 1901, Bury New Road, in 1911 Egerton Street Heywood, and on my Granddads’ birth certificate in 1919 Broadoak lane, Jericho Bury. What I’m asking is as any one heard of the homes, if not is there any way I can find out which home he was in, so I can possibly find out if this is the right Ellen Ormerod as I have hit a brick wall.
    Thanks Rob

There was a workhouse at Jericho, which may have been where he was born:

Bury Workhouse

It says on the site:

From 1904, to protect them from disadvantage in later life, the birth certificates for those born in the workhouse gave its address just as 1 Broad Oak Lane, Bury.

Comment

you could try searching for Winton of star cottage homes or Mertel cottage home on the national archives site.

Posted at the same time as Mary, looks like she may have your answer.
      Last edited by Keptin Thedark; 07-02-09, 16:18.

Comment

Welcome to FTF, rofix.

Is it Mertel or could it be Myrtle? Myrtle Cottage sounds a bit more inviting.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Good idea, UJ. Could be these homes:

Wilmslow - Styal Cottage Homes

Comment

I wonder if he was in the Styal Cottage Homes? These were used by the poor law guardians of Manchester and others.

(Think the cottage was probably called Myrtle cottage, by the way).

OC

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies
              Mary, the address you wrote is the one I have here off the birth certificate, thanks for your help. Im going to try to do some research on it. Its too much of a coincidence for it not to have been his first home (workhouse).
              Uncle John, Myrtle Cottage I have found a little bit on that home and i think that is one off them that he may have been in. With him being in all of his childhood he may have been in a few. Is there any possible way i can look him up. Any help would be appreciated
              Thanks Rob

Comment

Iv just found my granddads marriage certificate and it shows him living at 63 Peter Street Higher Broughton, Salford in 1942 is there any way I can find out who lived there with him (hopefully his mam ).

Comment

rofix

I'm afraid it's virtually impossible to find out who lived where, in the war years. No Electoral Ro;; was taken and no post office directories published.

Who were the witnesses on his MC? If he had been living with his mother, I would have expected her to be present at his marriage and probably a witness.

OC

Comment

He was married in Middlesbrough on leave before he went to India to war but his residence was 63 Peter Street Higher Broughton, Salford. His mam isn’t down as the witness.

Comment

There might be some info in his service records, but I have never tried to get WW2 records and don't know if you can. Hopefully someone else will see this and say whether you can or not.

OC

Comment

Thanks for your help Olde Crone Holden

If this can help he was in the Royal Engineers, Brompton Barracks, Chatham, Kent.

Comment

Hi Rob, welcome to FTF.

If you are the next of kin to your grandad you can get his army records.
                          They will however cost you £35, I got my fathers after he died.

The address I'm sure is in the WIKI on here.
                          Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Working...
                          X