Places of Worship Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Places of Worship Project

We have had many new members since we started the Places of Worship project some 15 months so we thought it might be a good idea to provide an explanation of what we have been doing and to ask for your support in continuing the good work that has already been done.

First, however, we would like to say a big thank you to everyone who has helped make the project a success, in particular Julie (Darksecretz) who started the project, our team of coordinators who have manned the regional threads and offered advice and information relating to their regions and of course the members who have provided the many photos received to date.

The aim of the project is to provide copyright free photos of places of worship which you can use in your research.

If you click here you will be taken to the main page in the wiki where you will find a short description of how to navigate the project and the full listing of counties in England, Wales and Scotland.

In our Regional Projects forum (within the Site Projects section of the site) you will find two threads for each region – one is a discussion thread where you can introduce yourself, ask for advice, offer information etc., and the other is a photo thread used solely for posting photos ready to be uploaded to the wiki.

Regional threads for England, Wales and Isle of Man, click here
    Regional threads for Scotland, click here

Do you think you can help? If you have a camera and some churches near by then you can.

Find the discussion thread relevant to your area and introduce yourself.
    If you need help with a list of churches local to your area I am sure one of the coordinators will be able to advise.
    If you need help uploading photos to the site then just ask – someone will be happy to talk you through the process.

Get your batteries charged and start snapping! We look forward to seeing lots of new photos.
    Elaine

And the next couple of months are the best time to take your photos too - before the leaves come out on the trees and get in the way!
    Sue

Comment

And watch out for sunshine peaking out just when you snap!!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Sue
        I've told O.H. it would be a good time of year to photograph many of the country churches nearby.
        A sunny day and a pub lunch, .... should be a pleasant day out soon.
        I did notice recently that the late afternoon winter sunshine gave some churches an added 'glow'.

Comment

All areas are in need of more photos & I know that we don't have many in Wales North or South
          Lynn

Comment

I could do some in South Wales....tho I will happily admit my photography skills a not that hot!

Clare
            Clare

Comment

Thanks Clare, that would be a great help.

Photography skills - just point and click and I'm sure they'll be fine!

We don't have a coordinator for the South Wales area at the moment - I might just have to twist your arm at a later date, but for now I have put my name on the threads.
              If you need any help uploading photos to the site then just ask - most members use photobucket and advice on using photobucket can be found here

There's no rush - just whenever you are out and about - every little helps.

South Wales discussion thread
              South Wales photo thread
              Elaine

Comment

I'll take my camera to work this week there are 4 chuches in easy walking distance so that'll be a start!:D
                Clare

Comment

Nice to see new members getting involved. Thanks Clare.

Comment

....and Churches in snow scenes look good too -provided you can walk there and not risk life and limb:o:D:D
                    Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
                      ....and Churches in snow scenes look good too -provided you can walk there and not risk life and limb:o:D:D
                      Nothing like a breath of cool country air..........

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks for that Glen! I do love to be proved right :D

Lovely photo - where is it?
                        Sue

Comment

Yes a lovely photo Glen. Very well taken and of a professional standard.

However I can assure members that mine are not nearly up to that standard - as I started out late last year with a camera in my hand and not a clue how to use it.

Sometimes you just can't get it right - weather or light etc but someone/expert on here could probably twiddle with it to improve it.

So whatever your expertise (or not) please do contribute to the POW project
                          your contribution might be just the photo someone is waiting desperately to see.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks for that Glen! I do love to be proved right :D

Lovely photo - where is it?
                            It's Fogo Church in Berwickshire, i took that one the day after Rememberance Sunday.
                            The village has just over 20 residents but within the graveyard are 16 CWGC headstones all placed together, during WWII the area was full of airmen from assorted countries based at nearby Charterhall who underwent training on radar systems. The headstones are also pictured in the wiki.
                            One of those very rural churches that has links via marriage and burials to far flung corners of the world, the building is unchanged since the mid 1800's but the site has been home to a church for over 800 years.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Look good is an understatement
                              You might like to take a look at the Lanarkshire photo board (post #3) or the Lanarkshire (Glasgow) pow wiki page for a nice snow covered church picture that has just been submitted.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Replacement pictures are always welcome too, if scaffolding has come down and renovations are complete, feel free to re-photograph.

Comment

Just giving this a well deserved nudge
                                  Lynn

Comment

That BattlefieldEast one is a beauty!
                                    Gillian
                                    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
                                      That BattlefieldEast one is a beauty!
                                      It came in from a new member here on FTF after i posted a thread on ScotFamilyTree, sent direct to me via e-mail and a large high res version to boot. I just went WOW!! I spent ten minutes staring at it before resizing and uploading it to the wiki,:D it's a shame none of my tree connects to the building as it would make a great addition.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                                        it's a shame none of my tree connects to the building as it would make a great addition.
                                        I thought exactly the same Glen! (about my tree of course lol)

Glad you said that about SFT - I had been trying to remember why the poster's name was familiar.
                                        Gillian
                                        User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Working...
                                        X