I am a bit dopey.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am a bit dopey.

Could someone please tell me what this might mean.

# ID: I022965
    # Name: Hamlet Marshall
    # Sex: M
    # Birth: 1580 in of Stainton?
    # Reference Number: 22965
    # Note:

Last Name: MARSHALL First Name: HAMLET
    College: ST JOHN'S Entry Date:
    Birth Date: Death Date:
    Full Text: B.A. from ST JOHN'S, 1599-1600. Probably s. of Hamle t, V. of Stainton-by-Langworth, Lincolnshire., who, by will (Prerogative C ourt of Canterbury.'P.C.C., 1614) leaves him the advowson of Legsby, Linco lnshire.

M.A. 1603; B.D. 1610; D.D. 1615. Adm. at Lincoln's Inn, Feb. 6, 1619-2 0; of Hampshire. Usher at St Albans School, Herts., in 1602. R. of St Clem ent, Eastcheap, 1606. V. of Christ Church, Newgate Street, 1611-7. Precent or of Lincoln, 1632-45.

R. of Houghton-le-Spring, Durham, 1633-45. Had dispensation from the Archb ishop, 1618-9, as one of the King's chaplains in ordinary, to hold the rec tory of Alresford and the vicarage of Odiham, both in Hampshire. Will ('Pr erogative Court of Canterbury.'P.C.C.) 1653.

Father: Hamlet Marshall b: BET 1530 AND 1550 in of Stainton by Langworth, Lincolnshire

It is from Lincolnshire and Fenland families.

Thanks Ruth

It's a timeline of events for Hamlet Marshall, giving source references for the information.

Or are you asking something else?

OC

Comment

I am not sure what I am asking...it is all gobbledy gook to me.

I was hoping the answer would be simple....like me.

Comment

Is looking like it is a sequence of events...

I have found a Hamlet Marshall on ancestry 1841 too.. in lincs

- Ancestry.co.uk
        Last edited by Darksecretz; 07-02-09, 14:23.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Sorry, can't help laughing at that, Julie - look at the dates in the original post again!
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
            Sorry, can't help laughing at that, Julie - look at the dates in the original post again!
            oh yea............ :o:o:D

(am tired, thats my excuse, and i'm sticking with it....lol)
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks.

I'm not sure I am any wiser though.

He definately belongs to me....and I am very glad that future generations did not repeat the name Hamlet.

Comment

Jackie Clarks Lincolnshire and Fenland families

Same ref ID: I022965

Sorry you know that lol. Same excuse as Julie..tired..been up all night!
                The info is as others say ..bits and bobs picked up from scraps of info from various sources. So long back 1580.. I imagine there's not a lot around. It just builds up a picture .

Have you contacted Julie Clark? Amazing how many peeps have her as a ref on their trees. She seems to have done an awful lot of work for everyoneLOL
                Last edited by Katarzyna; 07-02-09, 14:28.
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I read it that they have used information from the archives of St John's college and from PCC wills to trace the career of a chap called Hamlet MARSHALL
                  They don't have a birth date for him but are estimating that he was born about 1580 in of Stainton.
                  He studied for a B.A. from ST JOHN'S between 1599-1600. and was probably the son of Hamlet Marshall, Vicar. of Stainton-by-Langworth, Lincolnshire. The son was left the advowson of Legsby, Linco lnshire. by Hamlet marshall senior,in a will proved at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury in 1614

He gained a Master of Arts degree. in 1603; a Bachelor of Diviity in 1610; and Doctor of Divinity in 1615. He was Admitted (?) at Lincoln's Inn on Feb. 6, 1619/20; of Hampshire. He was Usher at St Albans School, Herts., in 1602. Rector. of St Clement, Eastcheap in 1606. Vicar of Christ Church, Newgate Street, from 1611 to 1617. and Precentor of Lincoln, from1632 to 1645.

He became Rector of Houghton-le-Spring, Durham, from 1633 to 1645. He had dispensation from the Archbishop, 1618-9, as one of the King's chaplains in ordinary, to hold the rectory of Alresford and the vicarage of Odiham, both in Hampshire.
                  He left a will which was proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury in 1653.

His supposed father: Hamlet Marshall was born between 1530 AND 1550 in ofStainton by Langworth, Lincolnshire
                  I think the strange "in of " means they don't know for sure he was born there but know he had settlement there.
                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by flashieboy View Post
                    Could someone please tell me what this might mean.

# ID: I022965
                    presumably just a reference number used by the site that you got the information from

# Name: Hamlet Marshall
                    # Sex: M
                    # Birth: 1580 in of Stainton?
                    # Reference Number: 22965
                    # Note:
                    looks as though they aren't sure where and when he was born and are just guessing.

Last Name: MARSHALL First Name: HAMLET
                    College: ST JOHN'S Entry Date:
                    Birth Date: Death Date:
                    Full Text: B.A. from ST JOHN'S, 1599-1600. Probably s. of Hamle t, V. of Stainton-by-Langworth, Lincolnshire., who, by will (Prerogative C ourt of Canterbury.'P.C.C., 1614) leaves him the advowson of Legsby, Linco lnshire.
                    Hamlet Marshall got a degree from St John's College - could be either Oxford or Cambridge but I am guessing Cambridge as it is in the right area. Probably the son of Hamlet, Vicar of Stainton-by-Langworth, Lincolnshire, who left his the right of presentation to a church benefice of Legsby, Lincolnshire, in his will which was proved in 1614 by the Prerogative Court of Canterbury (this will should be available to download from The National Archives Documents Online site for £3.50)

M.A. 1603; B.D. 1610; D.D. 1615. Adm. at Lincoln's Inn, Feb. 6, 1619-2 0; of Hampshire. Usher at St Albans School, Herts., in 1602. R. of St Clem ent, Eastcheap, 1606. V. of Christ Church, Newgate Street, 1611-7. Precent or of Lincoln, 1632-45.
                    Received his MA degree in 1603, Bachelor of Divinity degree in 1610 and Doctor of Divinity in 1615. Admitted to Lincoln's Inn February 6th 1619/20, document for this says "of Hampshire". Rector of St Clement, Eastcheap in 1606, vicar of Christ Church, Newgate Street, from 1611 to 1617 (both of these in London) Leader of choir or congregation of Lincoln 1632-45.

R. of Houghton-le-Spring, Durham, 1633-45. Had dispensation from the Archb ishop, 1618-9, as one of the King's chaplains in ordinary, to hold the rec tory of Alresford and the vicarage of Odiham, both in Hampshire. Will ('Pr erogative Court of Canterbury.'P.C.C.) 1653.
                    R = Rector, don't think the rest needs explaining? That will should also be available from The National Archives site.

Father: Hamlet Marshall b: BET 1530 AND 1550 in of Stainton by Langworth, Lincolnshire
                    Father Hamlet Marshall born between 1530 and 1550 in Stainton by Langworth, Lincolnshire (again, this looks like guesswork)

The people on that site must have got information from various sources and are assuming that all this information is about the same person, but you would need to check and make up your own mind whether they are right.
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you very much...that makes more sense.

I knew he had left a considerable amount of money to each of his children on his death.

Comment

He was at St. John's College, Cambridge; the information comes from:

Search Cambridge University Alumni, 1261-1900 - Ancestry.co.uk

Comment

Wonderful....I think his brother Augustine may be on there too.

I will check again more thoroughly at a more decent hour...it is 2 a.m. in Tasmania.

Thank you again for your help.

Comment

An Usher is an old name for a school-teacher.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Do you think I would be right in being suspicious that this particular line does NOT belong to me.

Why would a family that has 2 family members with degrees suddenly turn into 500 years of agricultural labourers?

Comment

Ruth

Why did you think he was yours? I mean, how did you get back to him?

However, I have many lines of ag labs who came from greater things. Only the eldest son could inherit estate, the rest got personal belongings only, if that, and you only had to be the youngest son of a youngest son to find yourself ag-labbing!

Don't be fooled by "just an ag lab" either. Very often, I have found, that disguised the fact that they were working their own bit of land, which was old family land and they may have been better off than you think.

Another factor is that the 1500s and 1600s were uncertain times and fortunes could change overnight, if your allegiances were to the wrong religion, or to the wrong monarch.

OC

Comment

I have traced my Marshalls back to 1500's....and then on Lincolnshire and Fenland families is says that Hamlet and Augustine were my Roberts brothers.

Hamlet left about 1600 pound to each of his children which then was considerable.

And through Roberts family the name Hamlet does appear....and when you think about it I doubt it was a name that was just chosen without a family connection.

But last night on Ancestry I found a tree that had another possability of Hamlets father..so now I am a little confused which is mine...if any are.

Comment

The name Hamlet may have come from a much earlier generation. I have an extended family who always called first or second son Wade.

That traced back to a marriage 300 years previously and there were dozens and dozens of Wades 300 years later.

The only way to tell if there is a direct connection is to trace the posh lot forward and see where that goes. Do you have a baptism date for your Robert?

OC

Comment

Not a christening date....but I have a marriage date and a date of death.

Robert Marshall
                                      Born abt 1570 Bassingham Lincolnshire

1st marriage 20/10/1618 to Joane Browne....no known children

2nd Marriage.4/5/1620 to Alice Thompson Bassingham Lincolnshire

Joseph 17/11/1622
                                      Thomas 15/4/1625
                                      Richard 18/5/1628

Robert's brothers (according to Lincolnshire and fenland families) to unknown parents

Miles Marshall before 1550
                                      Hamlet before 1540
                                      Augustine before 1570
                                      Henry before 1570

Comment

Hm. What bothers me about that is that I would expect some of Robert's children to have his brothers' names. A first marriage at the age of 48 is also a bit unusual for the time.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X