TV Series - 'So You Think You're Royal'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Series - 'So You Think You're Royal'

Hi, Just re-discovered this website and I'm really impressed. I love the magazine - I'm catching up on the back issues.

Anyway I recently discovered this TV series on Sky 3 (Sunday 6pm, Monday 8pm).

It is claimed that half the British population is related to Royalty and this programme takes an ordinary family and explores whether a story that persisted in their family for generation about being related to a Royal is true.

Sometimes it seems the story could be true and sometimes not.

Jeannie

oooooooo Jeannie,

do you have the url for it please?? nice to see you btw
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi

I've found information on it on the Virgin TV Listings. TV Listings - TV & Radio - Virgin Media

If you put the name into Google you get various mentions on websites, but I don't think there's a dedicated site.

The new episode is on the Monday and repeated on the Sunday. Unfortunately, it appears that the series is ending soon.

This Monday's new episode says:-

So You Think You're Royal? - 8.00pm
      George III
      Series 1 - Episode 6 of 8

A fire-eater is intrigued by an old family legend about a possible connection with George III, following the sovereign's alleged marriage to a Quaker named Hannah Lightfoot. He calls in historian Saul David and genealogist Nick Barratt to investigate the story and examine any evidence which may support it. If true, the claim would leave the current royal family as pretenders to the throne.

Jeannie

Comment

sounds intriguing. I'll set the Sky+ for this one

Comment

Thanks alot Jeannie,

I think I have seen it before, and it was quite interesting

thanks again
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

ISTR some of the connections are extremely remote/dubious. But some of the research is interesting.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes, some of the connections, especially pre-registration are a bit dubious, and assumptions as made but I still find it interesting. They don't get any assistance from the Royals though, who won't allow access to records they may have about the children of Royal mistresses.

Its nice that they feature some ordinary people for a change instead of just the famous and it also means that on a Monday you could watch a whole 2 hours of genealogy on the TV!

Jeannie

Comment

Mmmm. Wonder what kind of response I would get if I

"called in Saul David and Nick Barratt"

lol!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                  Mmmm. Wonder what kind of response I would get if I "called in Saul David and Nick Barratt"
                  They'd "do you" for free cos you're famous. :D
                  And you've done 99.99% of the work for them already. :D:D
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Do you think you are related to someone Royal then?

I have to admit that although they claim that up to half of the population is related to someone Royal, there's no one in my tree (so far?) and I've never seen any other threads on GR where someone claims to be.

Jeannie

Comment

No, the nearest I can get is to Shakespeare's Dark Lady, who is widely believed to be Mary Gerard, who was lady in waiting to, um, Elizabeth 1, I think. She is the sibling of my umpty times GGM.

No, I was just laughing at the wording "he called in Saul David and Nick Barratt", as though those two are perpetually hanging around waiting for Joe Soap to employ them!

OC

Comment

Working...
                      X