How can I tell if he's mine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I tell if he's mine?

After my missing Aaron Hale threads last weekend I ordered 2 certs the one for the younger is definitely right, but I'm not sure if the one for his father is right and I'm not sure how to find out.

He died while being taken to hospital. His age is 63 in 1902 which is roughly right altho I don't have his birth for certain. His occupation is a market packer, he'd been a labourer previously so not a huge change and his death was registered follwoing notification from the coroner after an inquest. I'd hoped either the place or the informant would help me rule him in or out and it doesn't!

The registration district in St George in B'ham and tho I'm a B'ham lass myself I don't actually know where that covers and even if I did I'm not sure it would help me!

I've also never found this Aaron Hale on the 1901 census despite having his wife so I'm puzzled all round

Clare
    Clare

You may be able to find a report of the inquest in the local paper Clare, easier to find now you have the certificate giving the correct date for the death. That is the avenue I would be taking.

Comment

Very happily :DI am going to B'ham next Monday to the library to look at all the lovely things they have there so I will try that.

Clare
      Clare

Comment

I'd LOVE to goto Birmingham Archives.... but it isnt practical for me to go on the train, so I'd have to drive...
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I'm really looking forward to it as most of my family have been in Birmingham for well over 100 years so I'm hoping to find some useful stuff! I'm really lucky as my Dad works right by New Street Station so he is taking me and my mum for a day trip!!:D:D
          Clare

Comment

kewl!

(she says, trying not to be dead jealous.....lol)

my gran and her family were from Aston, longgggggggg story but basically estranged from them, so know very little about them, (aside from what I have managed to piece together over the years, bit by bit and certs etc..)

trouble is that there are parralell(sp) families so is very confusing,

Hope you have alot of luck
            Julie

Comment

Aston is where all my lot are from too! They lived there from the mid 1860's until we left B'ham in 1986. So B'ham is really "home" for me even tho I was only there for my first 7 years.

If you have anything in particular you'd like looked up PM me and I'll try and look for you:D
              Clare

Comment

Have fun Clare.
                I love your avatar - our one armed butcher!
                Elaine

Comment

I wonder if you would be able to track down those asylum records at the Birmingham archives? Remember the couple of people listed as AH?

If the chap who died isn't yours then you need to find another Aaron born around the same time!! Oh, and another death for your chap. (sounding more and more as if he's yours)

Comment

Clare,

thanks for the very kind offer, (if and when) I eventually get my head around all of them, I'll shout up but Poole is a very common name in those parts, (talk about haystacks!)...lol
                    Julie

Comment

That's it Merry; the only reason I doubt it's him is because I can't find him in 1901, otherwise I'd be reasonably sure as Aaron Hale isn't that common there seem to be 2 around the same age the other died in Swindon in 1908.

I have been trawling through the 1891-1901 indexes this morning to check there isn't a death FreeBDM isn't picking up.

I think the cause of death is "Syncope natural causes" what on earth is that?!

Clare
                      Clare

Comment

Syncope is defined as a transient loss of consciousness with an inability to maintain postural tone that is followed by spontaneous recovery :D
                        Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

And in English syncope is fainting or blacking out due to insufficient oxygen getting to the brain.

In later years the death certificate would most likely provide the cause of the syncope, but in this case we can only guess. The most likely cause (as it led to his death) is probably a heart problem such as abnormal heart rhythm or a heart valve problem either of which might cause a lack of oxygenated blood to the head. Another one might be a tear in the aorta which is the main artery from the heart - this would cause massive internal bleeding leading to syncope and death.

There are loads of other possibilities, but I suppose they didn't really determine a cause in this case (possibly they didn't actually try to find a cause if they were happy it was a natural cause and not that he'd been beaten up or stabbed or similar)

Comment

That's great thanks.

I'm tidying up my research this morning and discovered that another family member died in the General Hosp in B'ham and was registered in the same sub-district so that deals with one of my concerns as my mum had totally confused me yesterday when she was explaining where the hospital was it seemed more like Aston than B'ham!

If I could just find out where he was in 1901 I could rest easy!! I suppose there is no reason why he wasn't being taken from the asylum to the hosp but there didn't seem to be any asylums in B'ham all those records were for Kings Norton, would you go from Kings Norton in to B'ham? Hmmm these are my musings I'm not expecting anyone to know!

C
                            Clare

Comment

I had the inquest report today and he is definitely mine!

He left his wife 4 years earlier which is why he isn't with her in 1901. for the 3 nights prior to his death he was sleeping rough, which may account for why he doesn't seem to be on the 1901 census as he was of no fixed abode.

he had been refused a bed in his usual hostel due to his "dirty habits"! The mind boggles!;)
                              Clare

Comment

WOW, what a find. you can almost get to know him when you turn up something like that. Just need to know what his dirty habits are now lol.
                                Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

I even know what he had in his pockets when he died, it is amazing to read all the detail
                                  Clare

Comment

Working...
                                  X