Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wasn't sure if you would want to know this, But...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wasn't sure if you would want to know this, But...

On Google Book Search we discovered a book titled "Forgotten Lunatics of the Great War" by Peter Barham
    It lists many mental institutions where distressed solders were sent.
    You can type in a persons name to see if they are included, it will give you the page number.

The book also explains a lot of the trials that servicemen endured in that terrible War and how they were treated when they came home. Although it doesn't give much more information than the names, it could account for a 'missing' relative.

..and yes we did find one of ours, although we don't know which branch he came from.
    It is a sad read, but just shows how badly off some of the men were when they finally made it home.

Hello Val, it soulds sad but interesting. Can you tell if any soldiers were sent to "The Retreat" at York?

Comment

Doh! I didn't take in that you were talking about Google book search! I'm just having a read......

Comment

Very sad. My great Uncle served in WWI in the Dardenelles & came back a broken man. Despite marrying & having a family he left his wife after the death of their youngest daughter & he was never seen again. To this day we don't know what happened to him, which is devastating for my 2nd cousin.

Joanie

Comment

How do I find Google Book Search please? I cannot see it on the main Google page.
          Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Just click on "More", Lynne, and you will see Books as one of the choices that appears.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The Big Secret in my family was that a cousin of my great grandfather had not died in WW1, as was put about, but spent 47 years in an Asylum.

Even his five children did not know he was still alive. My father told me, a week before my wedding, "in case you want to call the wedding off" !!!!

My father, like most of his generation, thought all mental illness was hereditary.

The poor man was suffering from shellshock and what would now be termed PTSD.

OC

Comment

Working...
              X