Which Jane did he marry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Jane did he marry?

I am trying to figure out who the second wife of a relative was - have come up with three possibilities:

Marriages Sep 1865 (>99%)
    Hugill Anne Elizabeth Pickering 9d 629
    >>>>Lewis Jane Pickering 9d 629
    Scott James Pickering 9d 629
    >>>>Simpson John Pickering 9d 629

--------------------------------

Marriages Sep 1870 (>99%)
    BOWER William Pickering 9d 603
    >>>>BOYES Jane Pickering 9d 603
    >>>>Simpson John Pickering 9d 603
    ****Snowden/on Jane Pickering 9d 603

I have these two entries that may be the first wife's death:
    Deaths Mar 1864 (>99%)
    SIMPSON Mary Pickering 9d 295

Deaths Mar 1866 (>99%)
    SIMPSON Mary A 53 Pickering 9d 291

So, depending on when Mary died, it would narrow down the choices further. (In 1841 she was Mary; for 51 & 61 she was Mary A)

I thought I may be able to find somewhere online that listed both couples of a marriage for Pickering, but haven't found anything - maybe I just haven't found the right site.

I'd look at all the Jane (surname) in 1861 that match the details of the 1871 Jane. You should (hopefully!) only find one that matches.
    Tracy

Comment

On the IGI there's an Anne Simpson with parents John and Jane christened 24 MAY 1868 in Pickering, Yorkshire. If she's yours then I'd doubt the marriage is the 1870 one.

Also do what OB said to confirm.
      Hail Spode!

Comment

If your John was born 1824 Pickering, in 1871 his wife Jane was born 1840 Pickering.

Jane Snowdon seems to be born in 1846 Pickering
        Jane Boyes born 1851 seems to be the only one claiming Pickering as place of birth
        Jane Lewis born 1840 Pickering.

John and Jane have 3 children, first born 1867 so that would fit with the earlier marriage as well.
        Christine
        Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
        Mary Jean Iron

Comment

Hmmm, according to what Christine found, it's not looking like any of the 3 are who I am looking for.

In 1871 John is 55 - born Harum, and Jane is 38 born York
          For 1881, they are 67 and 50.
          Any births are too early to check on FreeBMD, plus there is always the possibility that Jane had been married before.

There are no children with them on these census, but there is a granddaughter in 1881. I can't find a Simpson/Hartley marriage that jumps out at me and from the census I have only found 2 daughters for John and I have marriages for both of them. She may also be Jane's granddaughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret View Post
            In 1871 John is 55 - born Harum, and Jane is 38 born York
            For 1881, they are 67 and 50.
            Any births are too early to check on FreeBMD, plus there is always the possibility that Jane had been married before.
            Just a bit of local geography: Harum is probably Harome, a hamlet a few miles east of Helmsley.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

If your John Simpson is the one in 1861 married to Mary A. with mother-in-law Elizabeth Shepherd then the most likely death I can see on freebmd is

Mary A. Simpson, 53, Mar 1866, Pickering, 9d, 291.

If that is her death then the 1865 marriage is not your John's.
              Fiona. xx

Comment

Working...
              X