White Feather Society?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Feather Society?

Has anyone heard of this? It seems from a letter we have that my father's half brother was living as part of this society, probably in the late 1950's/early 1960's (letter has no date!) the letter makes reference to the fact that hi spost is checked before it goes out, but not much more.

The only refs I can find on the net are to WW1 and white feathers being given to those not in uniform.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Clare
    Clare

ISTR an ancestor of someone on last week's Antiques Roadshow received a white feather.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I had only heard of white feathers in the context of being sent to men who hadn't enlisted, as a way of marking their "cowardice".
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

UJ I saw that. Was amazing IMHO

Hmmm, this is some sort of "home" it seemed from the letter it was in broome hall in dorking which is a huge listed building.

He had also became catholic altho I'm not sure the two are related!
        Clare

Comment

Here you go, Claire. Broome Hall was bought by an order of monks called the White Feathers, who were African missionaries. Oliver Reed bought it from them.
          Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

That is it. Thank you so much.

Clare
            Clare

Comment

Originally posted by lorry53 View Post
              Here you go, Claire. Broome Hall was bought by an order of monks called the White Feathers, who were African missionaries. Oliver Reed bought it from them.
              White Feathers or White Fathers?

Hugo

Comment

White Feathers I think and the article fits with the address on the letter we have.

Clare
                Clare

Comment

Originally posted by Hugo View Post
                  White Feathers or White Fathers?
                  Oops, that was my eyesight playing tricks.

Originally posted by claretaylor22 View Post
                  White Feathers I think and the article fits with the address on the letter we have.
                  I suspect it should be White Fathers, though, as they are still around and are African missionaries.
                  Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

I certainly can't find anything on White Feathers Missionaries! I'll try Fathers instead!
                    Clare

Comment

Working...
                    X