FTF in a magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTF in a magazine

I can't see where anyone else has asked the question so I will.

Pippa, WHAT MAG AND WHEN??????????:D

If I've missed a thread please point me in the right direction and send me to Specsavers.
    Rose

If i could say for sure a couple of my piccies were at 300dpi then i would have put them forward for possible inclusion but i don't think they are at a high enough resolution.

It's quite sad looking at one of them, me as a baby...where the hair was thickest then it's now just about gone, and where it was really fine and hardly visible back then it now grows like mad:o
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I'm confused.
      Are these 2 posts about the same thing?
      Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Yes!
        If you look at the Notices section just above this thread you will see Pippa has posted a message about an article which is to be published in a magazine, and also asking for submission of photos which need to be scanned at 300dpi.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, now I understand - LOL!
          Maybe I should join Rose at Specsavers!
          Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Does it mean family photos and if so what sort of era are we talking about please? I'm a bit confused as to what is wanted.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I think Pippa is looking for general photos - family/formal/military/groups etc - 19th and early 20th century.
              If you think you have something suitable then best to send a pm direct to Pippa.
              Elaine

Comment

I did Elaine but I still wasn't sure what type/era was wanted. She just said a range to choose from. I have dozens but not too many 19th century, mostly early 20th century. I'll have a look and see if any might be useful.

How are we to send them and to who please?

Comment

They can be sent to our email address : familytreeforum@hotmail.co.uk

Please remember they must be copyright free and scanned at 300dpi
                  Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine

Is that exactly 300 or 300 or more?

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                      Yes!
                      "photos which need to be scanned at 300dpi."
                      I have lots of photos but I'm not into the technical side, so I'm afraid that the above means nothing to me!:o
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:
                      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                        I have lots of photos but I'm not into the technical side, so I'm afraid that the above means nothing to me!:o
                        hover over the image and right click, select properties and then details, information about the image (including filetype eg jpg, bmp etc and the resolution in dpi) should then be given.
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Glen, thanks, I might try that out later. I have scanned lots of photos and each time it seems to be different! The printer/scanner asks me so many questions and I'm not sure which answer to choose!
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:
                          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                            Thanks Elaine

Is that exactly 300 or 300 or more?
                            At least 300dpi
                            Elaine

Comment

I don't mean to nag :D

but which mag please?
                              Rose

Comment

I donĀ“t mean to be evasive but I think I should leave it to Pippa to tell you!
                                Elaine

Comment

yoooooohoooooooooo

Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiippaaaaaaaaaa

where aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you?
                                  Rose

Comment

Hi
                                    I am like Elizabeth I scan photos, etc without a clue as to how I should save them. I have just worked how to change the resolution on my scanner but I am ashamed to say that I don't know the difference between jpegs pdfs and bitmaps. A lot of my family photos were sent to me by my cousin on a CD so I had no way of knowing the DPI until Glen posted the tip above. Don't let this tip disappear without trace. Is there a thread or anything in the Wiki that explains to idiots like me the best way to save photos, documents etc?
                                    Moggie

Comment

Moggie - what a great idea.

We all have to scan documents and photos from time to time, and although I have lots saved, I haven't a clue how to make the best scan or all the options available.

A section giving instructions would be most welcome.
                                      Elizabeth
                                      Research Interests:

Comment

Some software allow you to change from jpeg to tiff and other resolutions and vice versa. I am interested in photography, so I have a programme called Corel Photo Album. This programme allows me to arrange all my photos in albums, and when I receive photos from other people if they are in TIFF format, which is a better file for storage in the photographic sense, BUT takes up a lot of room on your hard disk, I then just use the "Save As" and then decide whether or not I wish to save the image in TIFF which uses a lot of space or jpeg in which case I usually use the 300 dpi as this is the average good format to save. There are also other storage mediums like Gif/Bitmap and others and I could "save as" in any of these in my software programme. I tend to stick to the one which then tends to be jpeg 300 dpi.

Some all in one printers which have scanners allow you to scan the image at different jpegs so my scanner willl come up at 150 but I always change to 300as the image is clearer if you are printing then from the hard disk.

I think I am right in saying that for normal use on the computer then 150dpi is OK, but if you want to print out for own use then at least 300 dpi is required and for commercial extra sharp images then you would need 600 dpi.

This is one of the resaons why photos from a digital camera of 1/2 megapixels are not very good whereas photos from a digital camera of 5/6 megapixels are much sharper but for ordinary amateur camera use it is pointless going above 5/7 megapixels, far better to spend extra money on a viewfinder etc.

Janet
                                        Last edited by Janet; 07-02-09, 10:35.

Comment

Working...
                                        X