Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGGGHHHHH Ancestry !!!!

What on earth is going on at Ancestry?

When I go to complete uk Birth Marriage and Death index I can only choose from marriage and death. Has any one heard what the problem is on there?

The only births available are the FreeBMD ones and the post 1916 ones now.

Not sure why they deleted that one when they haven't updated the rest of the page, but there you go.
    Tracy

Comment

On my Home page it is listed under "What's New on Ancestry" and if you click on the link it brings up the 1916 to 2005 search boxes.

Or you can go to the 1837 to 1916 search and click on the link underneath that will take you to the 1916 search.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Just phoned them up and had a good rant, lol. They are having issues with the births indexes and are trying to fix it, they will become available again but they don't know when. But apparently it does not matter because they have lots of other databases avilable. I explianed that when you draw a blank with all other availabilities you then have to rely on the indexes, without them your knackered! Totaly went over his head.

Comment

Are they assuming that all births is available on a search now? And that you no longer need to "trawl through the index"
          Sue

Comment

I've just been on there and searched the 1916 to 2005 Births and got pages of results.
            Wendy

Comment

so basically what they are saying is.... someone has deleted it by mistake and they are running round like mad peeps trying to mend it?

~~~~ to keptin
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

You can still trawl the database. If you click on the FreeBMD births, and scroll down, you get a list of years up to 1915.

If you want after 1915, use the new 1916 database which also has the option to trawl.
                Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                  so basically what they are saying is.... someone has deleted it by mistake and they are running round like mad peeps trying to mend it?

~~~~ to keptin

It is there. I have just used it. See my previous post.
                  Last edited by WendyPusey; 06-02-09, 15:22.
                  Wendy

Comment

Your previous post does not mention births pre 1916, can I or can I not acces the birth indexes prior to 1915/16?

Waves back to darksecretz ~~~~~~~
                    Last edited by Keptin Thedark; 06-02-09, 14:29.

Comment

Sorry, what I meant to say was that they are BOTH there. 1837 to 1915 and 1916 to 2005.

I have just been using both.
                      Wendy

Comment

Originally posted by Orangeblossom View Post
                        You can still trawl the database. If you click on the FreeBMD births, and scroll down, you get a list of years up to 1915.

If you want after 1915, use the new 1916 database which also has the option to trawl.

Thanks for that, bit of a malarkey mind you but at least it's available.

Comment

You don't need to browse the database by year!!! It is searchable. I've just used it!!!!:(
                          Wendy

Comment

Searching is ok as long as they're transcribed. If they're not, you have to trawl. The only way to do that is as I said above.
                            Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by Orangeblossom View Post
                              Searching is ok as long as they're transcribed. If they're not, you have to trawl. The only way to do that is as I said above.
                              It would be interesting to know if anyone has found anything by the trawling method that does not appear on the transcribed list.
                              I would have hoped that the transcribed list is complete, although I suppose there could be data entry errors.
                              Elaine

Comment

Every now and again all of us have reason to trawl the database by year. I'm paying for that facility, thanks to orangeblossom we can now access it through the back door but it takes a whole lot longer because you have to start your search begining with the first letter of the surname so you have to crawl before you can trawl, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                  It would be interesting to know if anyone has found anything by the trawling method that does not appear on the transcribed list.
                                  I would have hoped that the transcribed list is complete, although I suppose there could be data entry errors.
                                  Transcribed list for what? Since when has the free BMD been complete and error free?

Comment

I'm not talking about freeBMD - I'm talking about the transcribed list of births for England & Wales 1916-2005 which has just been released on Ancestry.
                                    England & Wales, Birth Index: 1916-2005 - Ancestry.co.uk

Hopefully these transcriptions will save us the time of having to trawl quarter by quarter, year by year.
                                    Elaine

Comment

FreeBMD has transcribed about 99% of Births up to 1930, so most births should be there. Also most of the index has been "double keyed" which would throw up any errors.
                                      Wendy

Comment

lol, yes, well I started the thread and I'm talking about births pre 1916.

Comment

Working...
                                        X