Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving a web page "as is" off line

Hi.

Is there any way to save a web page off line?

My niece has been mentioned in a news article online and I would like to keep a copy of the news page. For other news articles that I have done the "save page as..." seem to want to connect to the web for me to view them, or the page has now been changed/archived.

If you are using Internet Explorer 7, pick 'Save as...' from the File menu. When the save file dialog box opens make sure the middle box at the bottom shows 'Web archive, single file (*.mht)'

This will save the page as a single file rather than a whole directory structure.

Alternatively you can press ctrl A to select everything on the page, then paste it into a Word document, but this sometimes makes a mess of the formatting.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

In Firefox, you can right-click on the page and choose "Save Page As," then make sure "Web Page, complete" is selected from the "Save as type" drop down. You can also do this in IE by selecting "Save As" from the File menu, then choosing "Webpage, complete" from the "Save as type" drop down.
      Last edited by lorry53; 06-02-09, 18:40.
      Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Thanks Pete and Lorry. I was under the impression that when you saved as a 'web page' that you had to access the web again to see it - with the possibility of it being 'updated' since it was a news page.

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret View Post
          Thanks Pete and Lorry. I was under the impression that when you saved as a 'web page' that you had to access the web again to see it - with the possibility of it being 'updated' since it was a news page.
          The web page will be saved, though you may lose some of the formatting. However, if there are a lot of links on the news page, you won't be able to access them unless you are online and they may, of course, eventually expire. If the info you want to save is all on one page, you should be OK. You'll probably need to give it a go and try to access the page offline. Pete's method from IE will probably be the best method to use.
          Last edited by lorry53; 07-02-09, 09:52.
          Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Working...
          X