help with half siblings in FTM 2009 please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with half siblings in FTM 2009 please

I have started using Family Tree Maker 2009 as a back up on my own pc.
    On ancestry uk My half siblings show up when showing a chart.
    On FTM 2009 I just seem to get the direct line and half siblings not showing
    on the family group sheet. I have had to print the mum separate from the father and then I get Mum with one child only.
    Father has the 3 other children.
    Should I just put all 4 children on as a family and make a note that the
    one has an unknown father.

Thanks

Only full siblings appear on a family group , half siblings appear n a separate family group screen due to them having either a different mother or father.

The family group sheeet allows you to go back generation by generation through their direct line ancestry, if you were to "put all 4 children on as a family and make a note that the one has an unknown father" then you will end up with all your tree charts showing incorrectly as from the grandparents backwards someone will either be attached to or ommitted from the correct family. The lineage will be incorrect if you place them all together in one group.

The correct way is to show each half sibling you have connected to the known and unknown parent on a separate family group sheet.

I have to do the same in FTM 2005, my mother had three children by two partners, my father had at least twelve (proven) children to six partners, that little lot doesn't include me but if i put the sixteen children in a family group as being born to my mother and father we would all appear to have the same grandparents, great grandparents etc which obviously we don't.

A lot of these children were in Lincoln from around 1945 and other bits of the county are probably connected too, knowing how my father went on it wouldn't suprise me to find our family paths cross somewhere at some point.
    I know when i was looking at the directories and pulled up a possible name from your tree on Monks Road at Lincoln i found some of my lot a few doors away at about the same time.
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 06-02-09, 11:42.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks Glen
      I will just keep him separate then. With an unknown father.

Comment

Sorry Glenda

I added another paragraph to my post at about the same time you replied, going on the bits and pieces Maudarby did on both your thread and mine she might be staring at something that links us together :D

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen
          Brilliant.
          I had been looking at some of your replies seeing you were Lincs and had
          thought of asking you for help. It would be great if we were linked in some way.
          I would probably benefit more than you. My people keep changing their names which makes it difficult to track and be sure I have got the right one.
          Thanks to this forum I seem to have made a bit of headway. They steered me in another direction which seems more likely than where I was going.
          Main names are MARTIN. WILLIS-MARTIN now I have been led to WILLIS. Some NEWTONS are listed and at the moment one of the names I have is an ISAAC NEWTON - not the famous one, but there may be a link in there somewhere.

If you want any info about my tree it can be viewed on Genealogy and Family History Records - Ancestry.co.uk the name is
          WILLIS MARTIN TREE. or I could send you info if you wish.

Glenda

Comment

Although i haven't noticed the names anywhere in my tree with the escapades my b/f got up to it wouldn't be too suprising to find a link, to put it politely he was a "ladies man".

If i'm honest i haven't really looked at the maternal side of my half siblings, mostly because they were illegitimate and without a father noted on the birth cert it is difficult to prove the link unless i physically find them and speak with them, it's not something that everyone is happy to discuss so i tend to leave well alone.

It's very likely that our close ancestors did cross paths though, brickmaking and metal/foundry work were very common on Lincoln and the number of folks who migrated to or from Lincoln through those trades was pretty high.

My main Lincoln surnames are Townsend and Goddard post 1910,
            Chambers (Lincoln post 1820, Wragby and Tattershall pre 1820)
            Goulson throughout Lincolnshire and Notts/Leics borders from the mid 1700's but all in i have around 180 surnames in my tree and most have some connection to the county.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
            X