No birth certificate but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No birth certificate but....

The 1901 census Ref: RG13/3427/9/10. shows William Molyneux age 2yrs with parents Herbert/Jane Molyneux who are my grand mum & dad together with other family members.
    Would there be any point in buying a cert ? I have 2 possible birth regs if necessary.
    In 1911 he is with shown with his uncle Henry(Harry) molyneux.
    Researching forwards is a nightmare because it's such a common name so how can I proceed, if at all?
    I guessed he may have served WW1 but couldnt find anything with so many having same name.
    Any help very welcome.

I wouldn't have thought Molyneux was a common name (or not as common as Smith, Jones, Williams, Cooper, Matthews, Barnes etc).

The birth cert will give you the address where William was born and Herbert's occupation which may or may not be the same as the info on 1901. If you are lucky the informant might be either Herbert or Jane's mother. But you won't know unless you buy the cert.

What are you trying to find out about?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

So is William your uncle or your father?

Do you mean you are researching forward (nearer to now) in time. Are you looking for cousins, perhaps?

Like Nell, I don't think Molyneux is a very common name.

Anne

Comment

Hi Nell,
        The Molyneuxs bred like rabbits in South Lancs.
        I would like to know if he married/who/children, etc.
        I just dont know how to proceed.

Anne, he would be my uncle....and yes, I'm trying to go forward in time.

Comment

Right, I understand now! :D

It is difficult it you have an uncommon name which is LOCALLY common. I have a couple of those too! The way I would proceed is to gather as much possible information as I could and then set it out in tables and begin to eliminate them one by one. It is a strange irony that it can be much more difficult with more recent events! :(

Have you thought of having a letter published in the local newspaper for that area to see if anyone bites?

As to your initial question - no I don't think in this case his birth certificate would give you any useful info. I would save my money for possible marriage or death certificates.

If you can get to the local archives they might have the marriage records for local churches which have the certificates just the same as those we buy and you could see the info for free. I say might because with more recent events the book may still be in use at the church.

Anne

Comment

Thank you Anne,...................I knew it wouldnt be easy!

Comment

I would start by hoping he lived to a ripe old age and looking for a death. That might indicate whether he stayed in area or moved away.
              I'd also look a street directories & phone books to see if I could spot a likely address.

I might even put a small tree online or a query on message boards, in case trawlers pick it up.
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

How sure are you that William belongs to Herbert and Jane?

There is also a Henry and Louisa living at the house who are married and it only says William is a grandson to the head of house William Molyneux.

If there is any doubt then yes you would need the birth certificate to check who the parents are.
                Fiona. xx

Comment

The birth certificate would give you the mother's maiden name and proof of parents and perhaps other siblings in 1911 or afterwards where you can use the mothers maiden name on FreeBMD - Search

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Fiona & JBee, thanks for your input.
                    My 1901 census shows Jane/Herbert as parents. Other children are well documented. The 1911 census shows William living with Henry/Louisa, whether it was temporary or permanent, I'll never know.

Comment

Working...
                    X