transferring docs from computer to notebook help pleas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transferring docs from computer to notebook help pleas

hi all, i am ok with a desktop computer but a complete thicky with notebooks.
    i have just purchased a notebook and want to transfer some of my word docs to it. it doesn't have microsoft office or a cd/dvd drive. i assume i can put the docs on a pen drive and then load them onto this notebook but do i need microsoft office on here to do that and if so they appear to come on cd:(
    notebook has intel pentium dual core processor, windows vista basic,80gb hard drive
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Silly question, but are you sure it doesn't have a CD/DVD drive? It's unusual for a new notebook not to have one. With regards to the Word documents, you can use your pen drive to transfer them, but you will need software that can open them. What was pre-installed on the notebook? Does it have Microsoft Works?
    Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

not a silly question - it says it has a built in webcam but blowed if i can find it
      i can't find dvd but here is the link to it
      Notebooks > EasyNote BG > EasyNote BG45-U-300
      Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

:D Ah OK, there's no CD/DVD drive, though you could buy an external one and connect it via a USB port. It does have Microsoft Works (sort of a cut-down version of Office) installed, so you'll be able to open your Word docs using the WP.
        Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

. It does have Microsoft Works (sort of a cut-down version of Office) installed, so you'll be able to open your Word docs using the WP.
          does it? is that the wordpad ? so i dont need microsoft office/word?
          have found the webcam!!!
          Jean

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
            does it? is that the wordpad ? so i dont need microsoft office/word?
            have found the webcam!!!
            It does according to the software list; it also has a trial version of Office. And no, it's not Wordpad. If you go to Start > All Programs, you should see Microsoft Works listed.

And congratulations. LOL!

Comment

ok, there is no microsoft of any kind listed.:(the link I gave was from Packard Bell but I bought it from PC world and they do not list any software so will ring them tomorrow.
              thank you for your help
              Jean

Comment

I would suggest you download Open Office - it is a free download and will do all that Microsoft Office will do!

If you look through the threads on this forum you will see that John-Nihon has started quite a few threads to do with Open Office and I am sure he will advise if you need help.

OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite
                Elaine

Comment

The easiest way is simply connect a usb cable between the desktop & the Notebook and save the files on the notebook hard drive.
                  Wordpad is a cut down version of Word and should read your Word files.
                  Cheers
                  Guy
                  Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

UPDATE - the notebook SHOULD have microsoft Works and other software but doesn't, so they are replacing it - I have gone for one with a cd/dvd drive.
                    thanks for all your help
                    Jean

Comment

Good result, Jean. :D

Comment

Working...
                      X