Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Guard?

Hi everyone,

Does any one know what a person would do when they say their occupations is Guard?

I have found a christening in 1822, and to be honest, I have no idea what my ancestor did for a living at that time.

Before that he was a victualler (last known date 1817), and was later a Eating House Keeper (first known date 1832).

Any ideas?
    Tippin

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention that he was living in Birmingham at the time, I don't know if that helps!
    Last edited by Tippin; 05-02-09, 17:22.
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

To me a guard could be a railway guard on the trains, but perhaps this doesn't fit in with your relative. Just a thought
    herky
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

1822 is a bit early for the railways, but he might have been a guard on a stagecoach, perhaps.

Comment

Or a Night Watchman?

Don't forget that Birmingham had (and still has) a large Jewellery manufacturing area.
        Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I suppose I will never know what he was guarding, there seems to be allot of things that needed guarding in Birmingham at the time.

I wonder why he left the victualler trade, only to go back into it (well, running a restaurant). He died as a 'Gentleman' as well!

Thanks,
          Tippin
          Families Intrested in
          Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

he he - sorry I didn't twig on the date, no of course no railways then!!
            Perhaps he was a prison guard or even a guardsman in the army.
            Just thoughts off the top of my head ( but no brain there just now, sorry).
            Will keep thinking.
            Best wishes.
            herky
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Working...
            X