This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong parents

I've been looking back at one of my branches/twigs, where I have two Sarahs (cousins) with the same surname and born same year, and I've realised that I have one Sarah and all her descendants attched to the wrong parents. Is it possible to move the whole line in one go? I don't have any descendants for the other Sarah. I use FTM2005.
    Lesley passed away in November 2017.

The first thing you need to do is to back up your file - just in case!

I'm giving the instructions from FTM 2006 but I don't think they are any different.

Bring up the family view page where you can see the Sarah with the wrong parents.
    Place cursor on Sarah, go to PEOPLE / FIX RELATIONSHIP / DETACH CHILD
    If Sarah has any siblings it will ask if you want to detach them as well - answer yes or no.
    She will then disappear from that page along with her descendants.

Find the right set of parents, go to PEOPLE / FIX RELATIONSHIP / ATTACH CHILD
    It should then bring up a list of all the people in your tree. Find the Sarah you have just detached from the wrong parents and select her name. It then asks you to confirm you want to attach her to the new parents. Click yes.

.. but please, back up your file first - it is very easy to slip up when doing something like this and forget where you are!
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine all sorted. Its easy when you know how to do it !
      Lesley passed away in November 2017.

Comment

Glad it worked. Always a bit scary doing it the first time but as long as you back up your file then it doesn't matter if you muck it up!
        Elaine

Comment

Working...
        X