parish records now I think..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parish records now I think..

as I am trying to find children of some rellies. The trouble is they are quite common names (pacey, ellis) and there are loads of results on freebmd for these names and lincoln/gainsborough. I guess I know need to think about looking at parish records- but as I have never done this will it give me parents names?

Tessie,

it depends what time scale you are looking at for the relatives, if it is after 1837 then you should find children on ancestry/freebmd BUT only after July Aug Sept 1911 will you find MMN on the entries. anything before then is pretty much a lottery.

if you are looking before 1837 then possibly the best place to start is either

www.familysearch.org

or IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America

the latter allows you to search by PARISH and is EXTRACTED entries ONLY

familysearch site has sumbitted :( as well as extracted entries.

hope this helps

(I will learn to spell as well.....lol... SUBMITTED)
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

The marriage registers post 1837 equate with GRO marriage certs and give names & occupations of father of bride and groom.
      Most baptism entries give name of both parents (if married) and often a basic address & occupation of father. Some vicars recorded date of birth as well as date of bp.
      Marriage details are standardised, bp vary more, but are valuable research aids.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

The children are born before 1911, I have looked with MMN after this and nothing is showing, I will have a play with IGI and family search! Although none of my ancetsers seem to be on them!
        Thanks guys!
        Tessie

Comment

Some local BMD sites (accessed via UKBMD - Births, Marriages, Deaths Indexes & Census transcriptions for the UK, On-Line ) particularly Lancashire, are adding maiden names to a of of their records.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Depending on the time scale you are looking for you may find some baptismal records for Lincoln on Ancestry - in the England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906 database, which is taken from the BIVRI (British Isles Vital Records Index)

Search England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906 - Ancestry.co.uk
            Elaine

Comment

tessie

have you tracked the families through the census? back to 1841? or even on the 1911 census.
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I second that. Remember that even though the first one is 1841, the people on it were born up to 90 years earlier so you could conceivably get back to 1751 through the Censuses.
                Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Thanks but they would have beenborn after 1906 for a couple of them and after 1919 for the rest!

Comment

The first thing to do is to go through the freebmd results and piece together the family groups by matching births to marriages, there may be missing entries as later coverage is a bit sparse and the mmn only appears in the index from late 1911 but it's a start.

eg births in the surname Pacey with mmn XXX, then find the possible marriages between Pacey and XXX.

births in the surname Ellis with mmn xxx, then look for potential marriages.

You will finish up with several family groups and many will not be connected but at least you have gathered together an outline and some references which saves looking for them again at a later date.

Online parish records are a bit thin on the ground, try the IGI and keep checking freereg too as it is updated regularly, but at the moment you would probably need the archives to gaurantee any widespread coverage.
                    The records transcribed on freereg are done by volunteers, you could always volunteer yourself and request Gainsborough or Lincoln records and kill two birds with one stone, transcribing the records so they go online whilst finding things for your own resarch at the same time, but whether you would end up with the later records depends on the county co-ord.

If you head down the certificate route then certainly for birth cetificates i would suggest using the Lincolnshire registration service, if you specify a ref check (name of a parent for example) then they don't charge extra for looking and the turnaround is usually three working days, they also scan the original register and you only need quote the year, quarter and district, no GRO ref is needed.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

parish records now I think

I too have relatives in the lincolnshire/boston area.
                      I find it quite difficult to find them.
                      Lincolnshire records on line are quite sparse. Find my past do not
                      have all of them. IGI sometimes they are there Ancestry too seems to have
                      limited records.

If they are from 1837 you are probably ok.
                      Before that it is very hit and miss.
                      Keep trying anyway and good luck

Comment

Working...
                      X