Can you help with a Riddel riddle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help with a Riddel riddle?

A contact on GR has prompted me to look again at my Riddel family from Scotland. They all seem to disappear in 1901 and then some re-appear later.

Charles Robert Riddel was born in 1854 in Inverness.
    Jessie McGill was born in 1854 in Glasgow (IGI Batch C119753).
    They married in October 1879 in Gorbals, Glasgow.

1881: 36 Cumberland Street, Gorbals (transcribed Riddell) withthe McGill parents
    Charles aged 27 b. Inverness; Jessie aged 26 b. Glasgow; Mary aged 8 mth. b. Glasgow

1891: 10 Kenmore Street, Tradeston
    Charles aged 36; Jessie aged 36; Christina 9 Blantyre; Jessie 7 Dunoon; Charlotte 3 Paisley.
    Mary is with her grandparents at 36 Cumberland Street.

I can't find any of these people in 1901, apart from a possible sighting of Christina as a patient in Maryhill hospital.

Mary reappears in 1905 when she marries my great-uncle Rowland Lishman in Glasgow. I have the image, which gave me her parents' names. She died in Tynemouth in 1912 in childbirth.

Charles died in 1943 (from another contact).
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

UJ

Just a tip - I have Riddells in my tree and eventually found the missing ones under the transcription of BIDDLE.

OC

Comment

Thanks for that tip.

Comment

Sorry but completely stuck - tried all combinations plus looking for children but no joy.
        I even tried by occupation.
        I see he was thread works manager - i know there were thread works in Paisley, Renfrewshire - but still no luck.
        I can't think of anything else.
        herky
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Bumping up in hope.

Comment

Working...
          X