Internet Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Security

I have been a forum member on the PC Advisor web site for the last nine years. A little while ago one of the most experienced experts - forum name skidzy - posted the following advice about internet security. I know he wont mind my copying it here. There is a wealth of advice here. I offer it for your assistance. Best of luck.

I have compiled a list of (in my opinion) probably the best and safest programs to use for internet security. These updated regularly will protect and maintain most computers.

Obviously, safe and careful surfing will reduce the visits of nasty viruses and malware/spyware.

All the below programs are free:

Antivirus:

AVG Free Download AVG Free Edition 8.0.233 - FileHippo.com
    Avast Free Download Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1296 - FileHippo.com

One of the above coupled with a decent software Firewall.

Firewalls:

Zonealarm Download ZoneAlarm Free 8.0.065.0 - FileHippo.com
    Comodo Download Comodo Firewall 3.0.25.378 - FileHippo.com
    Kerio Download Sunbelt Personal Firewall 4.6.1861 - FileHippo.com

Remember,only one Antivirus and one Firewall to one Computer.
    Do not highlight your risk to conflicts by trying to use more than one Antivirus and firewall.

Now we have the AV and Firewall protecting you, lets move on to stopping the Malware/Spyware slowing the computer or even redirecting you to those nasty locations. Malware/spyware is of course different to virus protection.

Antispyware:

Defender Download Windows Defender 1.1.1593 - FileHippo.com
    AVGAS Download AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5.1.43 - FileHippo.com
    Spywareblaster Download SpywareBlaster 4.1 - FileHippo.com
    Spywareterminator Free spyware removal and spyware protection - Spyware Terminator with realtime protection.
    Superantispy SUPERAntiSpyware.com - Site Unavailable
    Asquared a-squared Free - Free of charge Anti-Virus, Anti-Trojan, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Dialer and Anti-Worm Software - Freeware!

Now lets cleanup the computer of those tracking cookies and possible adware and search engines that may redirect your browser.

Spybot Search and Destroy Download Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6.2 - FileHippo.com

Adaware Download Ad-Aware 2009 8.0.0.0 - FileHippo.com

Cwshredder Download CWShredder 2.19 - FileHippo.com

To clean your temp files/cookies and tidy those obsolete registry paths after removal of various software.

Registry Mechanic (very good but not free) Free Download Registry Mechanic. Clean Registry and Fix Windows PC

Ccleaner Download CCleaner 2.16.830 - FileHippo.com

Regscrubxp |MG| Lexun RegScrubXP 3.25

Cleanup www.stevengould.org - CleanUp! Home

Some people are unaware of an alternative browser than Internet Explorer, here are a couple more

Browsers:

Internet explorer 7

Firefox 2 Download Firefox 3.0.6 - FileHippo.com

Opera Download Opera 9.63 - FileHippo.com

This is basic list of essentials to most online computer users, and you by no means need them all. However to maintain those family/single user computers - I believe some of these are a must. I hope this helps those who are unaware of the programs available for free. There are a lot more helpful programs out there, but most of the time ….not needed.

As a final contribution to this, if you feel you are infected with Malware/Spyware or possibly a Virus or Trojan resulting in a slow or unresponsive computer…please download:

HIJACKTHIS |MG| HijackThis 1.99.1

Run this and post the scan log

Malwareremoval MalWare Removal • Index page

And let the experts advise you accordingly, please be patient - you will get a reply and help in due course.

NB: obviously no program is foolproof, but these are the best around at this time.

Hope this information comes in useful for some.
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

this is a really brilliant idea Linda should be helpful to a lot of people , must keep it nudged up

Comment

Hi Val - hope it helps someone. Kind regards - Linda
      Linda - Happy Hunting

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

The problem as I see it is some people will think they are getting good protection from such free programs.
        Many of those programs do not contain even basic anti-rootkit.

In the security world you only get what you pay for free means compromise I am afraid.
        Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Basic root kit - well you got me there, no idea what that means.

As I mentioned I visit PC Advisor web site and have accepted the indepth knowledge and expertise offered over there for many ears. There have been countless and unending debates about to buy or not to buy internet security . I go down the free route because both Norton and McAfee (at different times) absolutely goosed my computer.

I have been using free protection for the last almost eight years and have never ever had any security breaches (touch wood).

I use Avast anti-virus (which updates itself whenever I switch on) Kerio Personal Firewall; Spyware Blaster; and Malwarebytes anti-malware protection. On occasion I have tried a-square; ad-aware and superantispyware, but have come down to the basic four mentioned above.

At the end of the day I speak as I find. The debate will always go on about "free" protection. I leave it to others to judge for themselves.

Safe Surfing.

Linda
          Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

I can see where your coming from Linda...but at the end of the day, I can't see why people spend all that money on a good pc and then don't want to spend out for good antivirus.

Freeware is ok but no where near as good as Nod32 or Bitdefender or Kaspersky.
            But to be fair on your part, its best to have a free scanner on your pc than nothing at all.

10/10 for then links it will help someone.

My 2 cents ;)

Comment

Thanks Brian - it was my seriously bad experience with both Norton and McAfee (both resulted in a total reformats) which pushed me towards the freebees. Information from fellow posters on PCA helped in my decision.

Dont you just love computers?

Safe surfing.

Linda
              Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Linda, I got the zone alarm suite as a freebie - using a site were you buy a small item (in my case ink from inkclub - which I do anyway ) and you choose the software program you want for a years free sub. I shall certainly pay for further years of it.

I was having a few probs with free avg not updating so I find it a comfort to have the complete zone alarm suite which includes the kasperky anti virus.

But many thanks for your posting which will hopefully ensure people will have some form of protection rather than none.

Comment

Hello Heather, I too had problems with AVG so ditched it in favour of Avast. I used to use Zone Alarm on my old computer, but when I got my laptop it just didnt want to know so thats why I went with Kerio Sunbel Personal Firewall (paid for version)

Kind regards

Safe surfing

Linda
                  Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Many free versions of Antivirus use exactly the same scan engines as their paid for versions and perform just as well. Many are given free to advertise the products to business users.

There are many tests where the free ones out perform the paid ones.
                    Avast is a great example with anti spyware and rootkit included.

AVG seems to have gone downhill since 7.5 with many reporting problems.
                    Look how the free Comodo Firewall performs against the paid for ones here.( results in quoted in Wikipedia )

Results and comments - matousec.com
                    Free doesn't mean inferior.

Bob
                    I am never wrong. I once thought I was wrong but I was wrong.

Comment

It might be worth mentioning that if you have Virgin Media broadband, your package may include their PCGuard product free - go onto their home page and click on Customer Zone, then Internet Security.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Many thanks for the responses, especially chipesh (Bob).
                        Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Thought I would nudge this one to the top.

Obviously there will be updated versions of those I mentioned. Just look for the latest version on each particular web site before you decide to download.

Good luck.
                          Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

nudging this up as I think its helpful

Comment

Good Morning Val, thank you. A Happy and Healthy 2011 to you everyone here on FTF. Kind regards
                              Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Happy new Year to you too

Comment

Working...
                                X