The Balkans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Balkans

Hello, I am trying to find any information on George Thomas Honey born 1887 in Clapham. I have his service record which states 10th London Reg : Pte no 465-- Theatre of War first served in (2B ) Balkan - then under that -Date of entry therein----10.8.15 What does it all mean???? The remarks column is a jumble of numbers and abbrevitions, one is Redt: that means retired ??? .I can't find him on the 1911 census. So where would he be The Balkans? as I can't find his death at all :o
    Sheila
    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

There's a George Thomas Honey born 12th Dec 1886 London serving in WW1 in the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Forces.

Could that be him???

Comment

His parents George, Charlotte and sister Alice are on a ships list in 1912 going over to Canada.

Is it possible George Thomas left before 1911?

George and Charlotte are also on a ships list arriving in Liverpool in 1919.
      Last edited by fiona c; 05-02-09, 01:37.
      Fiona. xx

Comment

This site is really useful for interpreting a medal card.

Researching a soldier: interpreting a medal index card

So he was a private in the 10th London Regiment and his regimental number was 465. He was awarded the Victory medal, the British War Medal and the 1914/15 Star (nicknamed Pip, Squeak and Wilfred) - there are more details about those here

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | World War One medal cards

The jumble of numbers are where they are listed on the medal rolls.

The ret'd bit is about the medals being returned. Kings Regulations 1743 said that if medals weren't claimed after 10 years they would be returned to be broken up. Possibly he had moved when they sent them out and so he never got them.

The theatre of war, Balkans apparently includes Gallipoli
        Jackie

Comment

There's a George Honey on the 1911 Census for Canada.

He's a servant from England living in Marquette, Manitoba. He's 24 and it says he came over in 1908.
          Fiona. xx

Comment

Apparently "T of E" means "terms of engagement expired" and was for pre war soldiers who had finished their term of service. It looks as though he then joined up again in 1915. That might be why you can't find him in 1911
            Jackie

Comment

The Canadian forces paper says he was born London, England and the date was Sept 17th 1914. Relative given is George Honey.
              Fiona. xx

Comment

There is also a George T Honey arriving in Canada on the 16th Jan 1919.
                The list seems to be soldiers, top of the list says 'Nominal Roll of Men to be Discharged in Canada'.
                Fiona. xx

Comment

Sorry I was of to lunch. It could be him I have never thought of him being anythere but in London. both he and his brother Arthur Albert Honey were in the British army Canada now there's a thought, I just don't know.

If he is in Canada how to I find a marrage for him please ???
                  Night Owl Where did you fined he had rejoined in 1915 please ??????
                  Sheila
                  Last edited by Sheila from Down Under; 05-02-09, 04:16.

Comment

This is the Balkans

Balkans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it included Sarajevo, where the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand precipitated WW1.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Sheila from Down Under View Post
                      Night Owl Where did you fined he had rejoined in 1915 please ??????
                      Sheila
                      I'm guessing that he did because on the bottom left of the card it says "Theatre of War first served in - 2B Balkans. Date of entry therein - 10.8.15"
                      Jackie

Comment

Night Owl- I see what you mean Thanks

Sheila

Comment

Working...
                        X