Is there a way to up images from 72dpi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to up images from 72dpi

I had some images sent to via e-mail a while ago as jpg files but they are small and only 72dpi.

I have printed them and scanned again at 300dpi and saved as Gif and Bitmap as well as jpg images but......when i click on properties on the jpg image it says it is only 96dpi. My scanner is an HP all in one and all the techy sites mention how the scanner likes to revert to default at 200dpi (how true :()

Is there any way to check the properties of the other formats?
    Is the jpeg at 96dpi due to copying the image again or is my scanner telling porkies and not even reverting to default settings.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Glen
    When you scan at 300 dpi (dots per inch), you are creating a bitmap image of that resolution
    If you save it as another format, in your case a Jpg, th scanner software will automatically optimise it for that particular format.

A jpg is a 'compressed' format of a bitmap, where excess pixels and other features are removed, thus the different resolution.

A gif is an even lower resolution format, so if you scanned at 300 dpi, then saved as a gif it would lose even more resolution in the process.

Not too technically 'deep', but I hope it answers your question.

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

What was throwing me though is that i couldn't physically see the resolution via "properties" on anything other than the jpg, even though i'm forcing the scanner to run at 300dpi if i reject the preview for any reason the default setting is selected. If i accept the preview then the scanning process is often hanging and not completing a scan.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
      X