Military Question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Question..

I am not up to speed with things concerning the military, so apologies if I am misunderstanding what I am reading from the records!
    One of my rellies was in the Army Reserve (special reserves) of the Kings Royal Rifle Corps (6 years service). It says on one page that he signs up on the 16th of august 1914. However, on the following page- Statement of the services it has three entries-
    1) Unit-D 6th-rec drill 17/8/14
    2) Unit-D 6th-Posted 31/8/14
    3) Unit 15-Posted 31/10/14
    A few lines under it says: Discharged BD 15th Battn (of/all?) 31/10/14, then there is a line that crosses through all that and something that says Entered in Error. Underneath all this are:
    1) Unit D- rec drill 26/8/14
    2) Unit 6- posted 26/8/14
    Now below all this there is this written:
    Total service towards engagment in Army Reserve to 29/10/14 (date of discharge) 0 yrs 65 days. Character awarded on discharge- Good.
    The discharge of the above-named man is hereby approved. Station... (I can't read).
    Next page basically says 65 days in service.
    Why was he discharged? I can't see anything?
    On the next page it is for 90 days emergency service?
    He states that he was in the Kings Royal Rifles Corps from 26/8/14 to 17/5/17so there is a discrepancy- his or Army's? This is dated april 1921. Next page has statement of services- couple of things I can't read then 'discharged under para. 392 or 892 (XXI), kings regulation 5/7/21- 86 days service! A few pages on it says mediacal history- marks indicating congenital peculiarities or previous disease _ _ _ elbow- not likely to become an efficient soldier _ grounds. 30/10.21.

I am so confused and can't get my head around all this info.!! :(. Does anybody know what all this means or where I can find the information. Many many thanks and sorry its soooo long winded, but couldn't word any other way!
    Tessie

Who is "he" when you say "he states"

Looks like they moved him around a bit then realised he wasn't suitable for the army. As his character was "good" I'd say maybe a physical problem.

But I really don't know....

Comment

"Not likely to become an efficient soldier" is usual army speak in cases of discharge, and covers a multitude of reasons, usually "medical".

Reservists were usually called up on the declaration of war and went off to barracks. Several of mine only spent a few days there before being discharged, for the reason stated above - but basically they were too small and too underweight to be sent to the front.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

And most city-dwellers were seriously under-nourished and suffered from things such as rickets. Poor eye-sight is another thing that possibly wouldn't become apparent until their Army medical. And deafness from working in cotton mills.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
        X