No announcement yet.

I guess I need to buy birth cert.....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess I need to buy birth cert.....?

I am now trying to trace my OH's fathers mothers line but I am having trouble getting a marriage for my OH's grandparents! There are about 6-7 children born in Lewisham with their married name and same MMN starting at around 1912 but I can't see a marriage for Lewisham on earlier records and with maiden name on later records. So I am guessing I will need to get OH's grandmother birth cert to get full names of parents and try that way?
    Thanks for your input.
    Tessie

Do you have the grandparents' names so we can look for a marriage for you?

Joanie

Comment

John Byrne and MMN Wilkin (no first name) sorry! OH's grandmother was born 1923. With a name like Byrne is it possible I will be looking to Irish records some time in the future?
      Thanks

Comment

Right so the earliest birth was 1912 in Lewisham, surname Byrne MMN Wilkin?

With a name like Byrne it does sound like he was Irish, or Irish descent so they could have married in Ireland. I will have a look for you to see if I can see a relevant marriage.

Joanie

Comment

I think you need to get a birth certificate.

Having the mother's first name would help for doing a search for John Byrne marriage to X in case the surname is mistranscribed or not on FreeBMD yet.

And if she were married before it would give you a previous married name i.e. she may have been born Wilkin but married a Mr Smith before she married John Byrne. In that case the marriage would be in the surname Smith but it would still be Wilkin on the birth registrations
          Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Could this be their marriage?

John Byrne 1904 Lewisham Dec Q
            Margaret Mary Wilkin

Joanie

Comment

What about this one Tessie?

Marriages Dec 1904
              Byrne John Lewisham 1d 1800
              Wilkin Margaret Mary Lewisham 1d 1800
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Snap Joanie :D

Comment

As Zoe says you should really get your OH's grandmother's birth certificate anyway. It should give her mother's full name & maiden surname or any other name she was previously known by. Then you can send for the marriage cert if those two look likely. There was a Margaret Wilkin aged 16 living in Lewisham on the 1901 census.

Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                    Snap Joanie :D
                    :D:D Smiffy !

Joanie

Comment

Thank you! That looks likely, but I will order the cert. to be on the safe side! What a long time before the kids arrived!!
                      Tessie

Comment

well there's every chance there were more children but as the maiden name isn't added to the index until later they wouldn't show up on a Byrnes/Wilkins search
                        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

There aren't any Byrne births in Lewisham on free BMD coming up between 1898 and 1914 .

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                            X