How accurate are transcripted PR's ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How accurate are transcripted PR's ?

I have had a reply from the RO about a cd of the Parish Records I am interested in. They aren't available so looks like I will have to order the transcripted records from the Family History Society. Has anyone done this before, are they any good as I feel quite disappointed they will just be typed transcripts; not the same "buzz" as seeing your ancestors names written in spidery old writing I feel!

If I do order them what's best the written booklet or the cd ? Are they worth getting?

Thanks!

Joanie

Hallo Joan

Transcriptions are only as good as the transcriber's skill. I've found its quite easy to misread original handwriting (and what is originally written may be wrong too) but I think ones done by a FHS are probably checked carefully.

Is there a possibility of ordering the relevant records on microfilm at your nearest LDS? I think there's no substitute for seeing the originals if at all possible.

As for booklet v CD I guess that depends on what you'd find easier to use.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Nell

I guessed that might be the answer, lol!!

I have had the film at the LDS & found it useful to see the "real" thing but as I am related to nearly all in the same village I found it really hard going writing it all down after a while :o

I wondered if I should get the cd (as they send them quicker than the books) just so I can sort out the ones I really need to view if I get the fiche at the LDS again?

Btw one of the Thame Chowns married someone related to one of mine

Joanie

Comment

Joan, I've found some of the Notts PR transcriptions invaluable despite having access to the actual images of the registers on microfiche - some of them are so hard to make out, especially when you get really far back.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
          Joan, I've found some of the Notts PR transcriptions invaluable despite having access to the actual images of the registers on microfiche - some of them are so hard to make out, especially when you get really far back.
          That's what I was wondering Kite. When I am looking at the real images it is ok for a few, but when there are loads it starts to hurt my eyes & then I'm frightened of missing a few..........

I would still want to check out the images for myself but would use the transcripts first to build up the tree connections between the families before getting the fiche on loan so I wouldn't need to sit there for hours on end getting dizzy lol!

:D

Joanie

Comment

I have made use of Northants transcripted records, books and CD's through the Family History Society and the Northants website and have been very pleased to have them, as I cannot always get to Northants CRO. No, it is not the same as the original ones, but you can always check the accuracy when you are able. I have to say that as far as Northants is concerned I have always been very happy with the accuracy of the material I have had and I am finding the fiche difficult these days. In fact when I am in the Northants CRO I make for the transcripts first and as you say build up the various families from that, so much easier!

Although I have used both books and CD's I woild probably go the CD's now as there is more information on there and cheaper to send!

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 04-02-09, 19:33.

Comment

I've had a couple of discs from Bucks FHS and they've been great - really easy to search .

I wouldn't hesitate to order more if I needed them.

Comment

I can't see anything about CDs on the Northants FHS site - only books and MI's. Where did you find that?

Comment

I find the CDs are more useful insofar as I can often copy and paste all of a surname instead of having to write it all out by hand. And you have the added benefit that you can make a hard copy as well from the CD. Although I believe that some have a restrictor which prevents these useful activities from being performed. So it may well be worth asking if that is so.
                  Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                    I've had a couple of discs from Bucks FHS and they've been great - really easy to search .

I wouldn't hesitate to order more if I needed them.
                    Wow thanks Lindsay, that is good to know. Is this the right site to use?

Buckinghamshire Family History Society - Home

Joanie

Comment

Thanks Janet & Grampa Jim. This is very helpful, I didn't want to send for them unless I knew of someone else with a good experience!

Looks like it's the cd's then!

:D

Joanie

Comment

Mary,

I have purchased a number of CD's from Alan Clarke and Marilyn Ponting. I have:

Northants Marriage Index 1700 to 1837
                        Partial Northants Marriage Index pre 1700 First and Second Editions
                        Northants Birth and Baptism Index 1700 to 1750

They have done others which I have not yet purchased.

Both Marilyn and Alan run a look up service on:

Northamptonshire Look-up Exchange

Both Marilyn and Alan are very helpful and most of their lookups are from the CD's that they sell and they do much work for Northants. They used to be publicised through the Northant FHS Society website.

Northants FHS has also done CD's for 1841 and 1851 Census which I purchased through the Society many years ago. I suppose people do not bother with these now if they have subs to either Ancestry or FMP.

Janet

Comment

Thanks, Janet, I'll look into that.

Comment

Mary

I can't find him under the umbrella of the Northants FHS but he is now under this site:

It all seems to have changed from when I was last on the site!

Janet
                            Last edited by Janet; 04-02-09, 20:47.

Comment

Ah, now I remember - I looked at that site ages ago when I was looking for newspaper articles. Thanks for reminding me.

Comment

One advantage of transcribed PRs that's not been mentioned yet is that the CD often has an index as well so you can double check if you've missed any.

I have several Bedfordshire parishes on microfiche. The Beds FHS has transcribed all the records for the county up to 1812. If you go to the archives that's what you normally look at in books - although I'm sure you could check the actual register if necessary.

Anne

Comment

On my Nottingham PR CD's

you can search by parish, first name, parents name, date, even do a wildcard search by say Chad%%% some allow you to print off or save as a .pdf

once I have found a particular entry I would then look at the original to see if there were any extra information, (as sometimes the notes dont get transcribed)

However, On stuff I have transcribed (on my website) I include all info, and is a searchable database, (also I include the officiating minister incase whoever has a minister in their tree)
                                  Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                    One advantage of transcribed PRs that's not been mentioned yet is that the CD often has an index as well so you can double check if you've missed any.

I have several Bedfordshire parishes on microfiche. The Beds FHS has transcribed all the records for the county up to 1812. If you go to the archives that's what you normally look at in books - although I'm sure you could check the actual register if necessary.

Anne

Ooo Anne I don't suppose you have any Luton ones do you?

Joanie

Comment

I bought book of baptisms transcriptions for Gt Marlow and one of my ancestors wasn't in. someone looked on the microfiche for me and he was there and had been missed on the transcriptions
                                      Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Quote:
                                        Wow thanks Lindsay, that is good to know. Is this the right site to use?

Buckinghamshire Family History Society - Home

Yes, Joan that's the one. I ordered Aston Clinton plus another disc - arrived in a couple of days, and very easy to search.

Comment

Working...
                                        X