Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help me ?

Hello!
    My name is Florence, I am French and I speak your language very badly. I am sorry.
    I try to make a family tree of my family. This is the information I have:
    My grandmother called Florrie FENTON, born June 9, 1899, Birmingham.
    She had a brother Albert FENTON, who has lived in Birmingham. (His wife : Margareth)
    My grandmother was married to Albert Claussmann (french) (August 11, 1889 - 1921).
    They had two children: Georges Claussmann (born Oct. 1st, 1920) and Florence Claussmann (Born on Oct. 9, 1918).
    After the death of my grandfather, my grandmother left Birmingham around 1921 to come to France with her children.
    My great-grandmother named Annie Ball and his husband John Albert Fenton.

Dead Rellies, of your forum, had found some information, but some do not.
    Thanks in advance.
    Florence

Hi Florence,

Wellcome to the site!!

Do you have access to Ancestry at all?

I believe this might be the family in 1901.

Jack Fenton, c1861 Birmingham
    Annie, c1879, Birmingham
    Albert, c1898, Birmingham
    Florry, c1899, Birmingham

RG13; Piece: 2844; Folio: 50; Page: 3.
    Fiona. xx

Comment

Bien Venue,
      The information Fiona has supplied has a reference number at the end of her message.
      This is our Census reference which we have every 10 years.
      If you have access to Ancestry, this reference should be quoted together with the names.
      Bon Chance

Comment

This might be the marriage but either of Albert's or Florrie's birth cerificates would confirm the mothers maiden name.

Jun 1897, District Aston, Vol; 6d, Page; 680

........>Annie Bridges
        Sarah Jane Cope
        .........>John Albert Fenton
        Herbet Onions
        Fiona. xx

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC
          Bien Venue,
          The information Fiona has supplied has a reference number at the end of her message.
          This is our Census reference which we have every 10 years.
          If you have access to Ancestry, this reference should be quoted together with the names.
          Bon Chance

Oooo Thank you Alan!! I didn't even think about the fact that she might not know what on earth I was on about.:o

Sorry!
          Fiona. xx

Comment

Your grandparent's marriage cert from GRO index is 1918 2Q 6d 178b Kings Norton, Staffordshire/Warwickshire. Albert Claussmann and Florrie Fenton

Her children's birth certs are;
            Florence A Clausman 1918 4Q 6d 27 or 27a Kings Norton, Warwickshire
            Georges P Claussmann 1920 4Q 6d 11 Kings Norton, Warwickshire

Florence's name was mis-spelled in the index and GRO tried to correct it by hand at the bottom of the page. They had 2 attempts and still got it wrong. What they ended up with was Clauseman.

John Albert Fenton married Annie Bridges 1897 2Q 6d 680 Aston, Warwickshire. I can't find any other entries for John Albert Fenton, nor a Fenton and Ball match. Do you know if Annie had been married before?

Using this info you can order these certificates online at Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 04-02-09, 18:36. Reason: Addition

Comment

In 1901 Jack (John) is a Brass Turner, been looking for him in 1891 and the only one that seems to fit is this one married to an Elizabeth with lots of children.

John Fenton, c1860
              Elizabeth, c1868
              Alice, c1878
              John, c1880
              Annie, c1883
              Charles, c1884
              Ada, c1886
              James, c 1889
              Joseph, c1891

All born Birmingham, John is a Brass dresser.

Been looking for the younger children in 1901 but Haven't turned up anything so far.
              Fiona. xx

Comment

hi flo and welcome....try looking on the lds family org site brenda xxx

Comment

Thank you very much for all your answers. I'll try to translate ...

My mother told me that her grandmother was married three times!
                  I do not know the other names. Two documents, the maiden name of my grandmother : PEACE or BALL.

I think I have distant cousins in Birmingham, named Fenton. They could get information about my English family. Do you know how I could find them?

Comment

Flo,

If you've not got it already, I think you are going to have to get Florence's birth certificate to see if there's any clues as to her mother's former name or names.

Again, there's a variant spelling in the index. She is listed as;
                    Florie Fenton 1899 3Q 6d 101 Birmingham, Warwickshire

I've tried IGI to see if there's anything to help you and only got myself more confused... I can't find a marriage of a John Fenton and an Elizabeth around the expected time working from the eldest child on the census Fiona found, nor did I find any baptisms. All I found was 1875 John Fenton marrying an Agnes Murray. Now while that isn't the expected name for the bride, to muddy the waters even further I found 2 children listed for John and Agnes (her maiden name not given) whose names match the census; Annie and Charles but their ages are 2 years earlier than the census details.

I've also tried ancestry to match the surnames Ball, Peace, Bridges and Fenton in any combination for marriage. I didn't get a match for any Annie but it did find this marriage in the same registration district that you are interested in. Maybe it's some connection to your tree?

Gertrude M Ball and Joseph J Fenton 1915 2Q 6d 198 Kings Norton, Warwickshire

Et aussi, bienvenue!

Comment

To follow on with GallowayLass' find of Agnes, John and Agnes are on the 1881 census on Ancestry mistranscribed as Feeler.

John's occupation is Brass founder which would tie in with the other censuses.

John c1858, Birmingham
                      Agnes, c1857, London, Middlesex
                      Alice 1878, Soho, Staffordshire
                      Henry J. 1880, Birmingham

RG11; Piece: 3009; Folio: 139; Page: 39
                      Fiona. xx

Comment

Thank you again for your welcome and your help.

I think the information GallowayLass seem to match my family.
                        The dates correspond.

I do not know the sites that you tell me, but I'll go see.

For my last question, how can I do to find my family who still live in Birmingham? Would you give me advice?
                        Does one of you live in Birmingham?

thank you in advance!

flo

Comment

Working...
                        X