• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Census (Full Stop) not working

Every time I try to use this facility, I now get the following message:

At least 1 characters that are not wildcards required for name searched

Is it me?
    Glen

You'll see from another thread that this particular "feature" has been debugged.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

It's looks as if this facility may have been removed, which is a shame as even FMP agreed that it was a helpful way of searching and I'm sure in the long run gave them additional revenue. :o

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
        You'll see from another thread that this particular "feature" has been debugged.
        I think that was a different "feature"

Comment

Thanks Merry & Uncle J. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't me.
          Glen

Comment

Both features have now gone. The wild-card search on surnames was particularly useful but unfortunately FMP have decided to disable it for some reason.

Comment

Aagh, you're right, they've turned off the full stop as well as the free address search.

Comment

Strange they've disabled the full stop, because they specifically confirmed it in the blog a while ago.

Comment

Thanks Richard. I can understand why. It enabled people like me to find my unmarried grandparents in the same household without buying a copy. I shall wait until the 1911 is part of the FMP sub & then jump ship from Ancestry for a year.
                  Glen

Comment

Its a shame because it was a way to ensure it was the correct family. I'm not going to be gambling & wasting money on probable & possibles, I've acquired images of my grandparents, and will be stopping there for now unless I'm given census vouchers for my birthday.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                      Aagh, you're right, they've turned off the full stop as well as the free address search.
                      Am I missing something here.

If you know the address or even just the road/street you can key it in the 'residential place' followed by the district with a wildcard search in surname.

Comment

There was a way of finding the address without looking at the transcript or original page - but it´s no longer available.
                        Elaine

Comment

Yes I know that confoluted way but presumably if you've found one person and I think that is what people are saying then you can trawl the street/road or even the area if you know the district.

And if you haven't found the person but you know the general area surely a bit of searching with district and some wildcards would be okay. Might take a bit more effort and at least 10 credits though.

I expect if it hadn't been publicised so much in so many ways and on so many threads and on the 1911 blog it might still be available!

What's that old war time expression ' keep mum' :p or at least keep her in PMs
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-02-09, 19:52.

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
                            Am I missing something here.

If you know the address or even just the road/street you can key it in the 'residential place' followed by the district with a wildcard search in surname.
                            Yes but the problem is you cannot now use a full stop (or any other character) to perform a total wild-card search on surname - you have to enter at least one character. You can only leave it blank altogether if you have entered a first name which means effectively that you can't search for every name at a given address.

Actually, I have worked out a way of doing it which is a bit clumsy but seems to work - use the wildcard search on surname and then search for *A*, then *E*, *I*, *O*, *U*. Takes 5 searches instead of one, but will net you every surname that contains a vowel at least (which is most of them, when you think about it!).
                            Last edited by Richard in Perth; 05-02-09, 02:42.

Comment

Richard - I was thinking along similar lines. This flexible wildcard approach is vastly superior to Ancestry's and should cope with all but the most extreme mistrancriptions.
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Richard in Perth View Post
                                Yes but the problem is you cannot now use a full stop (or any other character) to perform a total wild-card search on surname - you have to enter at least one character. You can only leave it blank altogether if you have entered a first name which means effectively that you can't search for every name at a given address.

Actually, I have worked out a way of doing it which is a bit clumsy but seems to work - use the wildcard search on surname and then search for *A*, then *E*, *I*, *O*, *U*. Takes 5 searches instead of one, but will net you every surname that contains a vowel at least (which is most of them, when you think about it!).
                                Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                                Richard - I was thinking along similar lines. This flexible wildcard approach is vastly superior to Ancestry's and should cope with all but the most extreme mistrancriptions.
                                Yep that is what I meant or what I was trying to say. Might take a bit of thinking about but at least it doesn't give so many it can't display them. Which is what was happening to me.

Its a matter of deduction ;)

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
                                  I expect if it hadn't been publicised so much in so many ways and on so many threads and on the 1911 blog it might still be available!

What's that old war time expression ' keep mum' :p or at least keep her in PMs
                                  I think the failure to keep the beta testing a secret shows that wont happen. Those emails were supposed to be secret and the condition of use was that you didn't tell anyone. Some people posted the link to the website.

I'm guessing the removal of these ways of searching is a money making exercise. You have to buy more to find who you want. Its the main reason why I prefer ancestry to FMP. Searching is easier and the displayed list of results are easier to work out. Ancestry gives you a place of birth too.
                                  Kit

Comment

Working...
                                  X