Crimea War and Battle of Inkerman Killed and Wounded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crimea War and Battle of Inkerman Killed and Wounded

After the WDYTA on Rory Bremner and his ancestor in the Crimea War I renewed an interest in a family member who was also in the Crimea. I knew he was injured in one of the battles, but did not know which one so having googled his name+Crimea I came up against this site that many people might like to look at.

I now know that my ancestor was wounded severely at the Battle of Inkerman in the arm and foot, so it was great to put another little bit of flesh on to this particular ancestor.

I hope someone else is as lucky as I was.

Battle of Inkermann killed and wounded

Janet

I now know that my ancestor was wounded severely at the Battle of Inkerman in the arm and foot, so it was great to put another little bit of flesh on to this particular ancestor.
    Oh, yuck! lol

Maybe your relative had some flesh removed by John Ogilvy? Is that the bit you are putting back?!!

I have a relative called Inkerman Wells. It's a pity he was never born nor died, but just turns up on a census!

Comment

Merry

Only just realised how I worded that.:D Well it was the John Ogilvie bit that made me find out more, except that this particular ancestor was not in the same regt. as Ogilvie Maybe he would not have been injured if he had been Still he survived until he was 81!

It was his brother, the one that surved uninjured who was in the same regt as Ogilvie and look what happened to him, he did not live as long as his injured brother did:D

Your Inkerman Wells was probably named after the Battle. I know a few Almas but have not come across any Balaclavas except the hats!

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 04-02-09, 14:45.

Comment

In the freezing conditions of the Crimean winter, British servicemen needed the woollen headgear named after Balaclava and also the buttoned woollen garments named after their commander - Lord Cardigan.
        Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

And Lord Cardigan made a right mess up with his "Charge of the Light Brigade. Lord Raglan, his other half (Inventor of the sleeve!!) was chosen to command the Brirish troops as Colonel of the Horse Guards in 1853 at the ripe young age of 65. He may have been OK at the Battle of Waterloo, but what a mess he made of Sevastopol! And having lost all his winter supplies at sea, due to "A Winter of Discontent" I doubt he had many balaclavas to offer his troops when he led them into battle at Sevastopol!

Janet

Comment

There's an area in the centre of Luton with Crimean street names. There must be many others.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
            X