Looking for certain family lines-questions from a newbee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for certain family lines-questions from a newbee

I am wondering if someone here might be able to help me? I'm new at this so if I'm posting in the wrong place please let me know where to post this.

1. I'm looking for any sources that would show any references to the name Theodore Atkinson and its occurence in time period 1580-1620, in the UK. It does not matter if it is a birth record, baptism, etc... or a grocery list. :-), just any occurence of this name during that time, only in the UK.

2. I'm also looking for any descendants of Robert Atkinson, former mayor of Oxford during the early 1600's. I would really like to hear from anyone who can trace themselves to him.

3. Finally, I am also wanting to hear from anyone who can trace themselves back to Raphe Atkinson of Buckinghamshire, 1570's+

In general, I'm looking for any infromation on these indviduals and their descendants. Any help would be appreciated.

As far as number 1 goes, can you narrow it down within the UK at all? Because you would need to look in a different place depending whether it is England, Wales, Scotland, or Ireland. And if you know which county it would help a lot.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

There are 54 entries on Family Search for Theodore Atkinson b about 1612 "of Bury, Lancashire". Is it possible he's the one you are looking for? - he certainly seem popular!!

Comment

Is this the right Richard Atkinson? He was around in the 1500's rather than 1600's:

Mayor of Oxford

Comment

Thanks, it would be somewhere in England, but that is also one of the problems. No one knows where in England. It could be Bury St. Edmonds, it might be Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire or Yorkshire. Is there not also a difference between ceremonial county names and their 'normal' names? (I may not even be saying this correctly). This is about as narrow as I can be at the moment. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Hmmm.....Bury St Edmonds or Bury Lancs!! lol

Comment

My understanding is Robert Atkinson was Richard Atkinson's son. Both once held the position of Mayor of Oxford. However, because Robert married a Catholic, he had some problems and is probably the same Robert Atkinson who later when to Stowell.

Comment

Theodore Atkinson b about 1612 "of Bury, Lancashire" may very well be the one I'm looking for. However, most sources I have read who mention him are American sources, written much later and offer no solid documentation which can be tied back to England. Where did you find your information?

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                  There are 54 entries on Family Search for Theodore Atkinson b about 1612 "of Bury, Lancashire". Is it possible he's the one you are looking for? - he certainly seem popular!!
                  There are also quite a few trees for the same person on Ancestry One World Trees.
                  Elaine

Comment

One of the Ancestry trees shows Theodore Atkinson born 1612 Bury.
                    1st marriage to Abigail chambers 1632, Boston, MA
                    2nd marriage to susanna Doyle 1637 MA
                    Died 1701 Newbury MA

You may need an ancestry subscription to view this - I'm not sure
                    - Ancestry.co.uk
                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasVAtkinson View Post
                      Theodore Atkinson b about 1612 "of Bury, Lancashire" may very well be the one I'm looking for. However, most sources I have read who mention him are American sources, written much later and offer no solid documentation which can be tied back to England. Where did you find your information?
                      On Family Search:

FamilySearch.org - Search

Sorry I mixed up Richard and Robert: I expect the other one is mentioned on the same site about mayors of Oxford.

Comment

You might have found my family tree posted on ancestry. I have on there all I can find, however, I now believe that all of that is conjecture, (meaning the location from where Theodore Atkinson orginally came from). Savage's "The Great Migration" said he was Lancanshire because he came to Boston as an endentured servant of John Newgate and that is where Newgate was from. However, the records from Lancanshire, during that time period, do not show any Atkinson's that would fit the dates. The Newgates are there, but no Atkinson's that account for Theodore. Other researchers have matained he was from Oxfordshire, and yet another from Yorkshire.

The problem with all of this is that none of the sources are old enough to establish a solid trail.

My hope is that as more and more records are becoming available and easier to find (due to computers and the internet), that I will find be able to find a Theodore Atkinson, in a British record from the early 1600s, that could possibly be him.

Comment

As he was an indentured servant, have you tried Lancs Record Office for any trace of the indentures? these would probably be with John Newgate's papers, if that family warranted (or left!) a collection.

Do you have any knowledge of John Newgate?

OC

Comment

Don't know much about John Newgate other than he was a felt/hat maker and Theodore because the same. His indenture did not last very long and may have been an arangement to allow him to get out of the country. He was also a Congregationalist! Theodore himself became one of the richest people in New England.

Is there a link here for the record office that would have such data?

Comment

Indentures last 7,10 and 14 years and are absolutely unbreakable...unless you have left the country, I suppose!

Lancashire Records Office does have a website but their catalogue isn't brilliant. They are not particularly helpful either unless you pay for a search. I did have a quick look but couldn't find anything relevant.

Do you have hard evidence of these two men arriving in the US? (Pleeeeaaasse don't say they went on the Mayflower, lol!).

I have gateway ancestors who went to the US on the Mayflower. All Holdens now in the US can trace back to this man.

Unfortunately, he wasn't on the Mayflower and the ONLY mention of his name in England was the baptism of a Iustinia, who was FEMALE. This doesn't put off the 3000 or so US Holdens who have him in their tree though!

I think you need to go back over your tree and decide where hard fact melts into fiction, (or at least received information) and start again from there.

OC

Comment

LOL!! No Theodore wasn't on the Mayflower, althought at some future day (from the Mayflower's original arrival, etc.) he purchased about 60% of the furniture for the Mayflower to make another trip somewhere.

My families history has been very well documented and easy to follow from Theodore's arrival to the present. What is not so clear is where the family came from. That's where everything breaks down.

The other issue that is a little scanty is excatly who Theodore's father was. My grandfather (8th gen grandfather) was John Atkinson of Newbury, MA. Theodore was his uncle. That much is clear and not really questioned by too many. It is believed by some that Theodore's brother was Thomas Atkinson of Concord, MA and for some reason John was raised by Theodore (as Thomas was older and died when John was very young).

The big question remains, where in England did Theodore and Thomas come from?

Comment

I need some more clarifcation. Since reading the replies I have done some googling and found websites that assist with looking for ancestors who were indentured servants. However, Theodore Atkinson arrived in Massachusetts as early as 1634. In looking at various webistes that have links to indentured servant data, the earliest one I've been able to find only goes to the mid 1650s (1653/54). Is anyone aware of any records any earlier? I also understand that baptismal records were not kept with any consistency until around that same time period.

Comment

Regarding Robert Atkinson, if you go to

Mayor of Oxford

you will find amongst other information a reference (right at the end) to a periodical article:

A. Davidson, "Robert Atkinson, a famous lawyer", Essex Recusant, xii: 91–8

which might be helpful (if you haven't seen it already).

EDIT: I see Merry put that site on earlier:o
                                    Last edited by Roger in Sussex; 04-02-09, 20:53.

Comment

I must admit that my own surname has come to a dead stop in 1676 with Baptismal Rgisters in North Yorkshire, but other lines in other Parishes go back to the mid 1500s. So don't give up hope on that yet.
                                      Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Thomas

I have certainly seen many baptisms much earlier than the 1600s - some registers start in 1533 in Lancashire.

If the Atkinsons were Recusants, these people were usually very well documented as everyone official was out to get them, lol. However, very few registers of nonconformity events have survived because, if kept at all, they were done secretly.

Sometimes reference is made in early church registers to recusants, but in a general way "Refused to attend church, fined a shilling" and so on.

However, many nonconformists, mine included, ran with the hare and hunted with the hounds, dutifully attending the parish church but practising their own religion in secret.

One point here - an apprentice HAD to be baptised C of E. If you could ever find his indentures, the date and place of baptism would be on there, although he may have been baptised a long time after birth. His father's name should also be on there. It may be that earlier indentures have not survived, or it may just be that they have not yet catalogued them.

Have you investigated Burke's Landed Gentry? There is a section for County families. Burkes isn't infallible, but it is a good start.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X