Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 - free address search no longer working

they've fixed it :(

Oh well it was good whilst it lasted! Just have to wait now until it becomes available on subscription - there's absolutely no way I'm going to pay £1.20 per household transcription, especially given the abysmal quality of their transcriptions.

Just imagine this time last year if you were offered the chance to look at transcriptions of households from the 1911 census for £1.20 a go - you would have pinched yourself to make sure you weren't dreaming! Considering all the costs of scanning, transcribing and indexing the documents, it seems a fair price doesn't it?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I was beginning to think I had gone loopy - it kept coming back to the message about using the wildcard with at least one letter - so dashed over here to see if anyone else had the same problem!!!
      Thank you for the answer - I shall go back to sorting the other years out instead!!
      There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

I'm not surprised they did that ,it must have cost them a lot of money , and I could not even work out how to do it .
        I agree with you Kite I think its well worth it as I found my great Grandfather and all his family who I knew nothing about before this , ordered a couple of Death Certs wrote to the informants and now have a Family Tree from one of them how good is that ????

Comment

Good job I did quite a few last night then

I do think £1.20 is a reasonable price for the time and effort, however, I'm not willing to pay it. I dont feel I'll gain much I dont already know. Perhaps 1911 is just too recent.
          Hail Spode!

Comment

I'll happily pay it when Monmouthshire finally goes on.
            Gwynne

Comment

Well if they are going to charge that sort of money, they could at least have made a bit more effort to get a decent transcription together. If you think £1.20 per household is such a good deal, how come we can look at the Canadian censuses (including images) for free? And the same is true for the Irish ones which are just coming on line. No I won't bother with the 1911 any more until it becomes available under a subscription. I somehow think that won't be so far away, in any case.

Comment

It's supposed to be later this year.

Comment

And Northumberland. :( It will be my last chance to find out where my Irish gt-granny came from, IF she gave a place of birth other than Ireland or Galway.
                  I would happily pay a lot of money to get that bit of information.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

£1.20 for a transcription is cheap IF IT IS THE RIGHT ONE!

If it isn't the right one, it is a waste of money.

I wasted 90 credits looking for my grandmother. A more adept searcher than I am, finally found them, mistranscribed. What is so annoying about this is that they were only mistranscribed in the index - a typo more than a mistranscription.

Although not quite the same thing, £1.20 is what you pay on SP to get a list of possible results for certificates. However there are many many more fields for searching and it is usually possible to eliminate any wrong ones by careful searching and narrowing fields.

OC

Comment

My Northumberland and Durham rellies will just have to wait. Developing OC's theme, I think there should be a means of flagging up mistranscriptions from the index, AND/OR a stated policy of refunding credits if a mis-hit is due to an index mistranscription.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I agree with Uncle John. If you waste credits because of errors by 1911 then that cost should be refunded. If I buy a product from a shop then, under the Sale of Goods Act, I am legally entitled to my money back if it's faulty. Why not transcripts and images, too? Are online census providers above the law?

Comment

They are losing a lot of revenue by changing this facility, like many of you I wasted far too many credits on incorrect or inaccurate transcriptions. Using the address check enabled us to determine the most possible family, for which I was prepared to pay because I want records for my family tree. They have lost my business!

Now, I shall wait, impatiently, for FMP to decide the cost of their sub, before wasting anymore money with the 1911 census!

I agree Dugless, faulty goods should be refunded!
                          And maybe they should reward us for informing them of mistranscriptions too, although I have yet to see any of mine amended!
                          Of couse! Light dawns! Then they would be admitting that they are NOT 98% accurate!!!
                          Bridget

Comment

Originally posted by Dugless View Post
                            I agree with Uncle John. If you waste credits because of errors by 1911 then that cost should be refunded. If I buy a product from a shop then, under the Sale of Goods Act, I am legally entitled to my money back if it's faulty. Why not transcripts and images, too? Are online census providers above the law?
                            The 1911 site does.

I was credited 20 credits for reporting a mis-transcription that I hadn't looked at or paid for but came up in a search but I knew it was the right one so paid for the original page and I was right. So in fact I didn't lose any credits really.

But I still reported the mis-transcription because someone else might be looking and not have the nous I have.

But you have to report the error of course!
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-02-09, 19:17.

Comment

I suppose they must have lost money. But I have spent more precisely because I could narrow down the field using the full stop and the address trick first and so found some gems.

Some entries are not going to be searchable at all now a surname is compulsory. I found some before the glitch was fixed who had no surname but were called eg comma George Robert. Presumably it was a misinterpretation of the ditto mark, but not acceptable, especially as everyone else in the household had the correct surname and the comma people were down as sons and daughters.

I hope they are going to set up a 1911 only sub option rather than doing a bundle with the existing FMP records. Having said that, Ancestry's "boy with a noose" has been such a regular guest star on the site since I last renewed that I certainly don't feel I am getting value for money.
                              Gillian
                              User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I've just posted this in the 'other' thread about the same thing

Am I missing something here. Tell me if I am but...

... if you know the address or even just the road/street you can key it in the 'residential place' followed by the district with a wildcard search in surname. Okay so it might take a little more effort because a complete wildcard isn't sufficient without at least one Alpha character.

Comment

The wildcard search under the advanced options seems more helpful than Ancestry's. At least you can stick in an asterisk at the beginning of a name, and it says you can use multiple asterisks. Useful when you don't know whether it's Mac or Mc or has a space after.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

You can also search now just using the first name which might help if you are looking for a possible mistranscription.
                                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
                                      The 1911 site does.

I was credited 20 credits for reporting a mis-transcription that I hadn't looked at or paid for but came up in a search but I knew it was the right one so paid for the original page and I was right. So in fact I didn't lose any credits really.

But I still reported the mis-transcription because someone else might be looking and not have the nous I have.

But you have to report the error of course!
                                      I have reported 4 mis-transcriptions and in the report complained about being charged for an error

In every case I later received email to say that it has been checked and adjusted, but no sign of any refund!

Researching:
                                      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Shame for them really, as I was using it to make sure I had the correct person and then purchasing an image.

There is no way I am going to pay for many transcriptions only to find that they are not the correct people.
                                        I think it would be good practice if they discounted the cost of the actual image, if you already had the transcription.

Researching:
                                        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Working...
                                        X