Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's amazing what you can find

and frustrating what you can't:(

I have a rellie i'm trying to find a photograph of. I have googled till i'm blue in the face and found several things about him but finding an image..

The man in question is Brigadier Sir Frank Job Goulson, DSO, OBE. WWII veteran, Acting British Commander of the Royal Nigerian Army and senior member of a UN operation in Luluabourg during the early 1960's.

I found a book on google books called Freedom and Anarchy which has a few references to him and several references to different areas he visited whilst overseeing some of the security operations, one page refers to Swedish pilots who were engaged in transporting the UN personel around and blow me there is a website refering to the squadron involved that mentions old FJ hosting a cocktail party for the pilots.

So i can say how many military troops and pieces of equpment he saved from the Japanese on WWII, how many times he led his men across a river before taking out two Japanese gun emplacements a few weeks later, who, where and when he was involved trying to control rebel local police in Luluabourg and learnt he died alone whilst heading back to Enogu and even when he hosted a cocktail party for Swedish pilots in November 1961.....but try and find an image of him :(:(:(
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Is it worth contacting a regimental museum?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I expect you're seen the recommendations for awards when he was a major in Burma (1946 - DSO) and a Lt Col in Malaya (1957 - OBE)? - on Documents Online.

But, of course, those aren't images of him!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

He gets at least a couple of mentions in the TDA - the first will be repeated in the London Gazette, because that's what it refers to; the second is the late father of Robert F, getting engaged.

Christine

update - several mentions - including the death notice and obituary, and his own marriage, other military appointments (with initials, rather than full name), Robert's sister's birth.
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 03-02-09, 20:25.

Comment

I'm not sure who to contact Christine, once he made a name for himself he appears to have been posted on several "Acting" roles but not connected to a regiment as such that i can find. His death announcement (March 1962) mentions he was with the West African Brigade in Burma during the war but also says he was Acting General Officer (Nigerian Contingetent) , another newspaper cutting released by the Army at about the same time states he was Acting Commander or the Royal Nigerian Army.

There is a site with several images of Luluabourg during the UN intervention that depict assorted military operations and military staff but there are no names attributed to the people in the images, i could be looking at him and not know!

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

The Gazette entries mention the Lincoln Regt., if I read them correctly.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              He gets at least a couple of mentions in the TDA - the first will be repeated in the London Gazette, because that's what it refers to; the second is the late father of Robert F, getting engaged.

Christine
              Yes i have those Christine, plus the bits and pieces via Docs Online, i even have some bits that mention his father (the first "real" military man in the Goulson family) who was ARP warden in Skegness. I just can't think where to go for a flippy picture:D

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I tried putting in just the surname and limiting the articles to "people" and found the announcement of his degree.

It also gave confirmation of the Lincoln Regiment - in the 1940 notice of his having been wounded (Capt F J). And gives the date of Robert's birth (without naming him). It gives the daughter's marriage, too, but he's been given the wrong initials - F V instead of F J.

Christine

Comment

I think that a Regimental photo is your best bet - or something from Sandhurst?

Christine

Comment

There are a couple of TDA photos of the Regiment, but neither is very clear, and you wouldn't know where your man was, even if he's in shot.

Christine

Comment

This link may provide something useful. The dates look more relevant, and there seems to be a person who has supplied the photos... who knows? there may be more.
                      The Royal Lincolnshire and Royal Anglian Regimental Association

It should be said that the named photos seem not to be officers.

Christine

PS - That link suggests that a more current Regimental contact might be the Royal Anglian Regiment?
                      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 03-02-09, 20:48.

Comment

Just found thid on the Ogilvy site (via Google)
                        Royal Lincolnshire Regiment and Lincolnshire Yeomanry Collections
                        Museum of Lincolnshire Life,
                        Burton Road,
                        Lincoln,
                        LN1 3LY
                        Tel: 01522 528448

Fax: 01522 521264

Email:
                        caroline.sleight@lincolnshire.gov.uk

Web:
                        Home | Lincolnshire County Council

Curator:
                        Collections Officer (Regimental): Caroline Sleight

Admission charges:
                        Adult: £2.25
                        Seniors: £1.50
                        Groups: By appointment
                        Children: Age 0-5 Free
                        School Parties: By appointment

Others:
                        Family ticket £6.00
                        Christine

Comment

And this might be worth a look:
                          Museum

Christine

Comment

Looks like the photographs are a recent addition, since my last visit the site has had quite a re-vamp.

I'll try a couple of the contacts given and cross my fingers.

Thanks Christine

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glenn I have a relative who is giving me similar problems. Google however gave me a place that has portraits but nothing online. I'm sure it was the National Portrait Gallery. Try them.
                              Kit

Comment

F. J. Goulson source:life - Google Image Search
                                what about this link

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                  Thnaks Val

I'm not sure how you did it, i have tried every combination of initials and names i could think of along with his rank.
                                  Now that picture is from the 1961 UN events mentioned in the book i refered to, the book is based on notes and recollections made by the other chap in the photograph.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I tried all sorts then just put his name in, no Sir no Brigadier nothing.
                                    Is that him in the Photo ?

Comment

Yep that's him on the right, my third cousin!!

The other chap is Major Hugh Cartwright, the image dates to 1961 so it must be towards the end of my rellies time there as he was posted elsewhere during early 1962 and died in March of that year.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

how exciting for you wish I could find photos of my lot

Comment

Working...
                                        X